MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #61
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great job....you got a very very very nice smoker/ griller!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #62
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Great job....you got a very very very nice smoker/ griller!
Thanks a lot Fwi ! :) Thanks for all your wonderful help!

I still have more to do with her.. it's really fun actually! I am a geek about it. I am really addicted to BBQ now lol.

I contacted PBC Company and they will sell me their charcoal basket for $55 including shipping in case I ever want to have the option to make my Emma (Latin for "Universal") PBC-like. I'd just have to fashion myself an open grate of rebar with 2 cross bars, that sits on a upper grate supports--1 1/2" from top of my barrel. Their charcoal basket is nice because it has solid sides and sits low. The solid sides redirect airflow from intakes to below it and up and through.

I think I am gonna add the rotisserie tomorrow (I have an extra one laying around I got my PGS K40 gas grill that I am no longer using since the rotisserie burner is rusted out and not worth replacing.. I don't gas at all really and certainly not rotisserie.)

EDIT: I just now checked the temp and it is stuck right at 250F right from the start.. I love how it's so easy to cook with this! I really struggled with my Mini for months! Cooking rib tips.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #63
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
Thanks a lot Fwi ! :) Thanks for all your wonderful help!

I still have more to do with her.. it's really fun actually! I am a geek about it. I am really addicted to BBQ now lol.

I contacted PBC Company and they will sell me their charcoal basket for $55 including shipping in case I ever want to have the option to make my Emma (Latin for "Universal") PBC-like. I'd just have to fashion myself an open grate of rebar with 2 cross bars, that sits on a upper grate supports--1 1/2" from top of my barrel. Their charcoal basket is nice because it has solid sides and sits low. The solid sides redirect airflow from intakes to below it and up and through.

I think I am gonna add the rotisserie tomorrow (I have an extra one laying around I got my PGS K40 gas grill that I am no longer using since the rotisserie burner is rusted out and not worth replacing.. I don't gas at all really and certainly not rotisserie.)

EDIT: I just now checked the temp and it is stuck right at 250F right from the start.. I love how it's so easy to cook with this! I really struggled with my Mini for months! Cooking rib tips.
Here's my last rib tips from a couple of nights ago....just Jamaican Jerk dry rub.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #64
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Very yummy looking rib tips! I like the idea of jerk rub, mind sharing your recipe with me? Here is mine (pretty much copied it from somewhere online):

http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/258392...jerk-seasoning

Old 11-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #65
JLStout
Got Wood.

I would highly recommend putting legs on your charcoal basket. If you don't, your ash buildup will choke your fire out on long cooks.
JLStout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #66
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLStout View Post
I would highly recommend putting legs on your charcoal basket. If you don't, your ash buildup will choke your fire out on long cooks.
Yeah I am going to build a fire basket stand for it and I temporarily used the edges of fire bricks for last night's cook. But I am not putting any legs on the basket itself since I want to be able to put it on the lower grate for grilling.

I just thought about it more and I am gonna put an additional 17" charcoal grate at the very bottom just above the intakes on additional grate supports, and sit my basket on this, criss crossed (since I use lump).

Old 11-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #67
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

Food kooks great, your build is going great also.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #68
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Yeah I am going to build a fire basket stand for it and I temporarily used the edges of fire bricks for last night's cook. But I am not putting any legs on the basket itself since I want to be able to put it on the lower grate for grilling.

I just thought about it more and I am gonna put an additional 17" charcoal grate at the very bottom just above the intakes on additional grate supports, and sit my basket on this, criss crossed (since I use lump).
The basket stand sounds like a very nice mod.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #69
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I want the mini weber chimney starter now! Pouring the minion starter coals from my big chimney down into the basket , while inside the drum was difficult as it was hard to turn it inside my 30 gallon drum.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #70
Fwismoker

Quote:
Very yummy looking rib tips! I like the idea of jerk rub, mind sharing your recipe with me? Here is mine (pretty much copied it from somewhere online):

http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/258392...jerk-seasoning
My cousin brought it back from Jamaica but i found it online and bought a big 32 oz jar when i ran out. www.Islandspice.com I've fallen in love with these authentic Jamaican spices.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #71
Fwismoker

Quote:
I want the mini weber chimney starter now! Pouring the minion starter coals from my big chimney down into the basket , while inside the drum was difficult as it was hard to turn it inside my 30 gallon drum.
I'm gonna get one those as well sometime....i do use Weber cubes alot, i just put a Weber cube in my basket under the spot i want lit and the basket fires up pretty quick....this way you don't have to mess with the chimney at all if you don't want to.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #72
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

After my brother and his wife seeing my UDS in action (grilled a burger for them here on it and they also sampled some of my leftover rib tips from the day before), they totally want one. My brother kept asking questions on how much each part would cost etc. I told him (runs about $160 for everything for this).

He wants me to build him one, but little does he know I already am as a gift for Christmas. I am going to bring it in all wrapped up with a huge bow on it -- they'll laugh knowing what it is under the wrapping paper--it'll be totally cute. I am gonna load the drum with all the accessories including a lil weber chimney starter, some homemade rubs of mine, apple wood chunks, a small bag of wood pellets (for grilled stuff/chicken), and a bag of hasty bake lump.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #73
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Poke a lightly oiled paper towel down into the center off the unlit coals and light it like a fuse. Works great every time with no mess or fuss. The total time to sweet blue is about the same as using a chimney.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #74
Fwismoker

Quote:
After my brother and his wife seeing my UDS in action (grilled a burger for them here on it and they also sampled some of my leftover rib tips from the day before), they totally want one. My brother kept asking questions on how much each part would cost etc. I told him (runs about $160 for everything for this).

He wants me to build him one, but little does he know I already am as a gift for Christmas. I am going to bring it in all wrapped up with a huge bow on it -- they'll laugh knowing what it is under the wrapping paper--it'll be totally cute. I am gonna load the drum with all the accessories including a lil weber chimney starter, some homemade rubs of mine, apple wood chunks, a small bag of wood pellets (for grilled stuff/chicken), and a bag of hasty bake lump.
Just got a call from a friend that wants me to build one for her husband for Christmas also. I suggested the Big Poppa Drum kit so she's ordering it and shipping it to my house. Now i just have to find a drum, get the holes drilled and take to get sand blasted and high heat powder coated.

The dang thing will be better than mine since it will be powder coated lol

Old 12-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #75
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice build and welcome to the addiction. Half the fun of a UDS is building it. Your imagination goes into overdrive. If you didn't already make a stand for your basket, I mounted a cheap pizza pan under the basket, makes for very easy clean up. Make sure you posts some pics of your cooks!

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote