Need your input on my ribs

I would Use Apple Juice when you foil the ribs and not sauce .

The Idea behind wrapping ribs in foil is to steam the ribs giving you the tenderness. So without a Liquid you dont create much steam.

Next you cook ribs this way , Try it out and check the ribs every hour or so when foiled to see how much pull back on the bones you are getting and the tenderness. Sometimes it takes an hour sometimes 2 or 3.

I ususally dont go much more then an hour with the foil part on my UDS.

Now the 1 part in the 3-2-1 is just to get them to firm back up a tad and then adding the sauce or glaze the last 10 or so mins .

Tenderness comes from rendering the fat and releasing the magic. Don't need foil for that.

Just wondering if you pulled the membrane off of the bone side? I would bump up the temp some as suggested.

I do mine different I have found out that the 3-2-1 does not work for me they turn to mush... I cook at 275 for 2.5 hours I then wrap with a little apple juice (this is subject to change) for 1 hour, I then sauce and put over direct heat for about 5 minutes each.... Mmmm Mmmm

If I did 3-2-1, I'd have rib stew-chunks of meat with loose bones scattered through them. I usually cook ribs at 250-275. If I wrap, something like 2-1-1 works perfectly in my cooker and temp-they come out really tender, but with a little bite still. I agree with using a little apple juice instead of sauce when you foil. I don't sauce until the last half-hour after they're unwrapped, about fifteen minutes per side with sauce. Of course, according to some, you're an uncultured idjit who doesn't know anything about cooking or barbecue if you put sauce or seasonings on ribs or other meats. I wonder if they use salt and pepper in their cooking, or just cook everything completely natural? For that matter, what's up with adding this smoke flavor? it covers up the natural taste of the sacred pork. To have absolutely pure barbecue like they say it should be, maybe we shouldn't use any rubs or seasonings, and cook them in the oven or on a gas grill so that they're not contaminated with artificial non-pork flavors like smoke and such? :boink: :biggrin1:

If I did 3-2-1, I'd have rib stew-chunks of meat with loose bones scattered through them. I usually cook ribs at 250-275. If I wrap, something like 2-1-1 works perfectly in my cooker and temp-they come out really tender, but with a little bite still. I agree with using a little apple juice instead of sauce when you foil. I don't sauce until the last half-hour after they're unwrapped, about fifteen minutes per side with sauce. Of course, according to some, you're an uncultured idjit who doesn't know anything about cooking or barbecue if you put sauce or seasonings on ribs or other meats. I wonder if they use salt and pepper in their cooking, or just cook everything completely natural? For that matter, what's up with adding this smoke flavor? it covers up the natural taste of the sacred pork. To have absolutely pure barbecue like they say it should be, maybe we shouldn't use any rubs or seasonings, and cook them in the oven or on a gas grill so that they're not contaminated with artificial non-pork flavors like smoke and such? :boink: :biggrin1:
:mrgreen::clap2: now that is funny

I don't typically wrap them until I see the bones starting to pull a little ... I also don't cook at 225 ... I'm around 250-270.

I don't typically wrap them until I see the bones starting to pull a little ... I also don't cook at 225 ... I'm around 250-270.

yea that what temp i was going to cook at was around 275 but when i had a thread about how to cook ribs most ppl were saying 225 i knew i should have went with my gut

Just from the pictures I would say they were not cooked long enough I always do 3-1.5-.5 but I usually cook at a temp 225-250 I also cook on an offset smoker but when I do pull them I look for the meat pulling away from the bone.

i am going to cook my next batch at 274 until the meat is pulled away from the bones then i am going to wrap them with my flavor for a hour just enough to melt everything

3-2-1 never really worked for me either. My ribs are always done in way less than 6 hrs. Never done a bend test, just probe for tenderness. Also, I only put sauce on after I pull, rest and slice into single ribs.

Point is, if it doesn't work for you, try something else, or adjust the times. Maybe do 3.5-2-1, or if you want them to be a little more moist, 3-2.5-1.

Back