MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
Marvin
Got Wood.

Post EUDS - Electric Ugly Drum Smoker

I've been collecting the parts for this build for a few weeks now. I'm just getting started and will post more as the build progresses.

And the answer to the burning question, why electric, because it will be set and forget ... and that works for me. I know others will claim blasphemy and I'm sure from their viewpoint it is. However, this works for me.

Disclaimer Notice:
In my prior career, I was an electrician, so doing this project does not present issues for me. However, if one follows what I've done, you do so at your own risk. If you do not know about electricity and wiring, please get someone to help you along in your endeavor. The life you save, may be your own.

Here is the barrel I located for $10.

The inside was unlined.

I'm guessing, it was a food barrel based on the label on it.

These are the lines to mark and drill for the stainless steel bolts.

Stainless steel nuts and bolts to hold the grates. Got the grates at Walmart for $12.

Stainless steel nuts and bolts mounted and grate sitting on them.

Took one of the grates, turned upside down so the heating element can be mounted on.

Put two bolts on the sides with no handles to keep the grate balanced when sitting on the bottom of the barrel.

Here is the 220v/3000w oven bake element, similar to what you would find in your house oven, should be more than enough to keep things toasty. Got this off of Amazon for $12. The model information of the element: General Electric WB44X5043 Bake Element

Set the heating element on the grate. I will use high heat wire to wrap around the element ends to keep it affixed to the grate.

That's about it for now. I'll post more pics in the coming days as the build progresses.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Cool build. The UDS is as set and forget as you could hope for already. Either way, if your feeling froggy take a leap. Are you going to use it 220v?

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
Mark Warren
is one Smokin' Farker

I am just curious how the smoke aspect comes in to play here. Do you put a little smoke wood chip box inside or what?
Mark Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Warren View Post
I am just curious how the smoke aspect comes in to play here. Do you put a little smoke wood chip box inside or what?
I was thinking the same. I am assuming he is going to put a chip box on top of the grate with the heating element?

Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Warren View Post
I was wondering the same also.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

thats pretty cool , not as portable as a UDS , set the thermo and walk away
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

A smokey oven!

Old 05-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
volfan411
On the road to being a farker

As a father of 2 boys who play competitve baseball I can respect your need for a set and forget smoker. If not for a WSM and a Digi Q I would never have time to smoke anything.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

You have entirely to much time on your hands to come up with this. My UDS is naturally aspirated it will run rock steady where I set it until it runs out of Fuel in 20 hrs. Guess what? If my power goes out my cook isn't interrupted or ruined. If this works for ya then I'm happy for you. Different strokes.....

MAKE SURE IT IS WELL GROUNDED and put it on a GFI

Old 05-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
jw177
Got Wood.

I am interested in seeing the final results. I still haven't completed my uds, but have been pondering building an electric version, just because. One problem I see for my use, most campgrounds don't supply 220 volts if I was to take it with me, nor are the campground breakers large enough to handle that wattage at 120 volts. What type controller are you going to use?
jw177 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Wow!!!!

Old 05-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Would be interesting to see the fuel cost comparison in electricity consumed vs. charcoal cost...

While I applaud your outside the box approach, charcoal-fueled UDS's are already set and forget! And I'm with bluedawg on the power going out issue- Better have a generator handy so you don't ruin a cook!

Interested to see what your smoke producing setup will be. Good luck.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
ChetPunisher
On the road to being a farker

I understand people's fears about the power going out, but how often do you have that problem? Just wondering.
ChetPunisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
FormulatedFire
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

This looks like a great idea to me. Using an element like that your basically turning a UDS into an electric oven of sorts. Not sure where the smoking element will come into play here but I'm very interested in seeing this progress. Seems as this could potentially be used indoors as well since electric heat doesn't give off any toxins like charcoal or gas.
FormulatedFire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #15
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Nice setup!
My first smoker was an electric ECB. The heating element sat in a pan surrounded with lava rocks and wood chunks thrown on the lava rocks closest to the heating element. The setup smoked well, actually.

As for power outages, that was never an issue as we seldom have outages here. But I can see weather related outages occurring in other regions. That could be a concern for some.

Tags
220v, Bake, electric, Element, uds