MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John
Default Brisket source in SoCal?

Where have SoCal Brethren been getting their Briskets these days?

I've had a hankerin' for Brisket for awhile, and after going through SmokinAussie's thread, decided to give it another go. My prior attempts have been disappointments, and I'm partly convinced the Cow itself shared at least some of the blame.

I've used the cryo'ed whole Brisket from Smart & Final in the past (choosing the most flexible), but the results have been on the dry side. I used the BGE Indirect, low n slo until it was somewhere in the 190+ range and passes the fork test. Used a bit of beef broth in foil towards the end on the second cook, just wrapped the first one in foil all by it's lonesome that time. Thought I'd follow Aussie's example and throw a water pan in this time. Maybe bump the temp up to the 250-275 range instead of 225.

The grocery stores I frequent usually just have a closely trimmed Flat.

Any suggestions?

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

I, too, use Smart and Final. That was the source of last weekend's brisket cook.

But I found that Wally World sells briskets. I was at the one in Cerritos two weeks ago and saw them.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

Was that full packers in cyro at Cerritos? Select or Choice and what was the cost per lb?

Thanks, Rick

Old 06-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreefrb View Post
Was that full packers at Cerritos?
Yessiree! I had to call the Mrs over because I thought I was hallucinating.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

I never been there but according to my friend Hottinger Family Meats is the spot to go.
5437 Chino Ave. Chino, Ca 91710. (909) 628-2568

Old 06-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

Is Wally World terminology for Walmart? I'm a bit lost and looking for a good meat source is SoCal too
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybel View Post
I never been there but according to my friend Hottinger Family Meats is the spot to go.
5437 Chino Ave. Chino, Ca 91710. (909) 628-2568
Thanks for the suggestion - Chino's a bit far - I'm out between Berdoo and PS up in the mountains.

I'll give Wallyworld (WalMart) a shot, and I need to go to Smart & Final for something else, so I'll give it a shot.

I saw them once at Sam's Club, but wasn't interested at the time. Ever since - trimmed flats.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

If you cannot find brisket from any of the above or < $4.00 lb . Join KCBS, KCBS members can get day passes for Restaurant Depot. RD will always have brisket for a reasonable price.

Rick

Old 06-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWJS View Post
Thanks for the suggestion - Chino's a bit far - I'm out between Berdoo and PS up in the mountains.

I'll give Wallyworld (WalMart) a shot, and I need to go to Smart & Final for something else, so I'll give it a shot.

I saw them once at Sam's Club, but wasn't interested at the time. Ever since - trimmed flats.
I got to smart and final they are decent sometime. That's why I haven't gone to chino also. I live in san berdoo by cal state.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachi-roku_fan View Post
Is Wally World terminology for Walmart? I'm a bit lost and looking for a good meat source is SoCal too
Yes, Wally World is slang for Wal-Mart

Old 06-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

If you have Sam's close by they have packers. Costco Business also has packers choice/select and you can get in with your regular memership card but closest one is either Hawthorne or Commerce if you find your way there somehow. I had the Smart and Final Cattleman's Finest in choice as opposed to their First Street brand and liked it a lot. I actually liked it better than sam's choice. I would recommend the Cattleman's Finest and look for choice since they're mixed. $2.49/lb and you can't beat that.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreefrb View Post
If you cannot find brisket from any of the above or < $4.00 lb . Join KCBS, KCBS members can get day passes for Restaurant Depot. RD will always have brisket for a reasonable price.

Rick
I checked out KCBS but couldn't find the place where it states this. I'd be interested in joining simply for this seeing as how there is a RD less than 5 minutes away from my house
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

I usually buy points when I do brisket. Gelson's usually has some nice big points for sale.
Heisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
mtbchip
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chip

Full packers at Smart and final (San Diego)

Old 06-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #15
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

If y'all don't mind me butting in right quick - SoCal Brethren Bash Sept. 21 - come on over!

Also - not really a bash, but Brethren lcbateman3 (aka Lionel) will be cooking a pig for a Carolina style pig pickin at my house in Culver City on July 20. He recently moved here from NC. I'll put up a post with details in the coming days/weeks.

Anyway - RD would be a place to look - I think you have to be a KCBS member to see the discounts page on the KCBS site. The prices are phenomenal at RD. I haven't had good luck with the briskets from S&F, but I'm more ready to blame myself than the brisket. I sometimes get them at Huntington Meats at the L.A. Farmer's market at 3rd and Fairfax. Not cheap but very good - but that's really far from where yer at.

And - points at Gelson's! I'm there!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote