MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:32 PM   #1
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Prime Tri Tip Sale Creekstone

Just an FYI

https://www.creekstonefarms.com/prod...ri-tip-special
16Adams is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-17-2018, 10:39 PM   #2
Hoss
Babbling Farker

On my " Bucket List" . Tried picanna this week.I need to do a comparison.Picanna vs. Tri- Tip. They both gonna have to get up early and bring their A-game to beat the flavor and tenderness of a good,quality Ribeye cap "Spinalis Dorsi".
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 11:40 PM   #3
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Not a bad price at all for good tri tip especially for folks that have a hard time getting some.
Vision Kamado PRO
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K), WGA(P) WJJ(CU)
Hunsaker Drum & Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
"THE BLACKSTONE POSSE" Member
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2018, 08:23 AM   #4
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Not a bad price at all for good tri tip especially for folks that have a hard time getting some.
Not a bad price??? I've never bought a prime grade tri-tip, but the choice ones around here (when I can find them) are less than $20.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
Sooner21
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
Not a bad price??? I've never bought a prime grade tri-tip, but the choice ones around here (when I can find them) are less than $20.

They're under $12/lb if you do the math.... Still not cheap but very good quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sooner21 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner21 View Post
They're under $12/lb if you do the math.... Still not cheap but very good quality.

Ohhhh, I missed that it includes THREE 2-2.5lbs tri-tips, I thought it was $70 for a single piece of meat. Yeah, that's not bad at all!

Old 10-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

More like $14/lb if you include shipping. I can get CAB Choice Tri Tip at Sams for under $6/lb.

Please consider a subscription!

Brisket is sacred, don't **** with brisket!

On a foggy day with stick burners in front of businesses and at houses burping Mesquite, Pecan, and Oak- the thin blue laying hazily near the ground- outstanding. - 16Adams
Stlsportster is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2018, 09:43 AM   #8
cholloway
Babbling Farker

I ordered this package a while back from Creekstone and was not impressed.
A large strip of gristle ran through each one.

New Braunfels Hondo Offset
New Braunfels Bandera (Refurbished & Improved)
37 year old Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2018, 10:40 AM   #9
ulc
Full Fledged Farker

I thought the reason Tri-Tip became popular was because it was really inexpensive cut of beef that could be cooked to taste like expensive cuts. But when Creekstone Tri-Tip is on sale and is still over $10 /lb, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of buying Tri-Tip when I can buy Costco USDA Prime beef Rib Eye for $9.69 /lb? For those who's buying this, how do you justify to yourself paying so much for Tri-Tip? Do you say to yourself it's normally over $20 /lb so on sale for $10 /lb is a deal? The last Tri-Tip I bought, I paid $1.80 /lb at Costco. It was USDA Select. I could've paid $2.80 /lb for USDA Choice but I didn't think it was worth paying $1.00 /lb more for Choice over Select.
ulc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #10
16Adams

It’s just me and the Bride(I get as sick at saying that as y’all do hearing it) but a 2-3# Tri Tip has many advantages to the two of us. Easy to cook. Quick cook. First meal are 1/4-3/4 inch steaks with a ton of veggies. Day#2 usually chopped and in a Mexican type dish like nachos-stuffed ABT’s etc. any remaining is cubed small an in to chili or green Chile. To us it has one of the purist clean beef flavors. It tapers. It’s easy to cook to several doneness (sp) levels at the same time. She can have her medium and I can have my less than medium. Texture is perfect for multiple cooks. Goes great with eggs too.

Did I buy these? No. But several times I’ve seen people mention they don’t have access to Tri tips or full packer brisket. It was for them.
16Adams is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #11
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I've had mixed results with these. Some were really tasty, others were definitely not worth the price. I've only purchased them when they were on sale.
Tri tip is not my favorite cut of beef though. Beef short ribs and ribeyes.... I could eat all day.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #12
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner21 View Post

Ouch!

We're blessed here with tri tip like Texas is with brisket. I have not paid more than $5/lb for choice and $7-8/lb for prime picking from stores and they're trimmed.

As a matter of fact they're on sale now for $4/lb.
Vision Kamado PRO
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K), WGA(P) WJJ(CU)

Old 10-18-2018, 11:29 AM   #13
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
I've had mixed results with these. Some were really tasty, others were definitely not worth the price. I've only purchased them when they were on sale.
Tri tip is not my favorite cut of beef though. Beef short ribs and ribeyes.... I could eat all day.
I've bought some grass fed (Pasture One was the brand IIRC) tri tips from them and they were really good Neighbor! Actually this thread reminded me that I had two in the freezer still and thawing one for tonight.
Vision Kamado PRO
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K), WGA(P) WJJ(CU)

Old 10-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #14
smokingmeats
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulc View Post
I thought the reason Tri-Tip became popular was because it was really inexpensive cut of beef that could be cooked to taste like expensive cuts. But when Creekstone Tri-Tip is on sale and is still over $10 /lb, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of buying Tri-Tip when I can buy Costco USDA Prime beef Rib Eye for $9.69 /lb? For those who's buying this, how do you justify to yourself paying so much for Tri-Tip? Do you say to yourself it's normally over $20 /lb so on sale for $10 /lb is a deal? The last Tri-Tip I bought, I paid $1.80 /lb at Costco. It was USDA Select. I could've paid $2.80 /lb for USDA Choice but I didn't think it was worth paying $1.00 /lb more for Choice over Select.
Are you sure about those prices? Thats cheaper than 75/25 hamburger. Up here in Minneapolis our Costcos dis-continued the sale of tri tip 4-5 years ago. When they were selling, they were $6-$7 a pound.
smokingmeats is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #15
Mike in Roseville
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingmeats View Post
Are you sure about those prices? Thats cheaper than 75/25 hamburger. Up here in Minneapolis our Costcos dis-continued the sale of tri tip 4-5 years ago. When they were selling, they were $6-$7 a pound.

Untrimmed Choice here is usually on sale at $3/lb. Trimmed at $5.

Costco Prime (trimmed) is almost always between $6.50-7.50/lb
Mike in Roseville is online now   Reply With Quote