MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:08 PM   #16
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

If probing thru paper cut a small slit over the thickest part of the flat to probe thru. Sometimes the paper will add some extra resistance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2018, 09:17 PM   #17
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Smoke til 160 at the thickest part....
This is the last time you'll ever look at the meat temp. Because "officially", beef is edible at 125. But if you eat it now, it'll be the last time you ever smoke a brisket.

Wrap.
Pour entire thick/dark beer in the paper/foil.
Allow to continue to cook until the probe has no resistance. When I say "no resistance", I mean ZERO. RESISTANCE. Yes, despite what your brain says, this is actually possible.

Once it's this tender, (DO NOT UNWRAP) place the wrapped meat into a cambrio/cooler, and allow to rest. Like for a few hours. Three? Four? Yea. It's like that.

(Of course, if your "resting cooler" is outside and you live in Pennsylvania, and it's January and ten degrees, then (duh) you need to bring it in and rest at room temp).

Enjoy!
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2018, 09:18 PM   #18
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Oh.... The worst thing you can do is probe deep enough that you stab through the paper and drain the liquid gold.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-17-2018, 04:18 AM   #19
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

For me, probing is to inconsistent. Never checked a temp yet on brisket.
Similar to above posts. When I pick up a brisket, wrapped, unwrapped. It should be as flexible as when you first put it on. If the flat won't curve easily, it is not done. Easy to check while on the smoker.
The most important IMHO is the hold time. That is where the magic happens.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 06:55 AM   #20
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Probe the thick part of the flat from the side. Ignore the point. If wrapped Open it up for 3-4 minutes when you pull it then wrap back up for hold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstaggs View Post
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
+2
Well crap. There's my problem. Now to see if there's a brisket in the freezer for this weekend.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 08:42 AM   #21
Taylormade
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

Reminds me of the video posted here a while back where they asked the old pitmaster how long he cooks his ribs for. He said "hell, I don't know, they're done when they're done!"

Last edited by Taylormade; 10-17-2018 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: typo
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #22
mstewart39
Full Fledged Farker

This is my problem. I don't want to unwrap the brisket to probe it.
I unwrapped the last one and lost most of the "liquid gold". I typically like to probe a few areas, so I don't feel great about probing through the paper. And I don't feel great about unwrapping to probe.

From doing the unwrapped kamado briskets I know that it can / should get to probe with no resistance. I know what I'm looking for, I just can't get the logistics to work with a wrapped brisket!

So do people typically probe through the paper, or unwrap to probe?

Old 10-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #23
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

wrap the brisket and place it in a foil pan if you're that concerned about it..."liquid gold" doesn't matter a whole lot if you undercook your brisket anyway. One sheet of butcher paper doesn't measurably change the probing texture, especially once it's soaked in fat.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #24
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

You guys probing from the side...
What if the thickest part of the flat is too far in for your probe to reach? Not that I have ever had that issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #25
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Probe through the paper.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #26
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Um, if your brisket comes out great on your kamado without wrapping, why are you wrapping it on the stick burner? Go nekkid young man, go nekkid...

If you want to collect the "liquid gold", put a pan below it...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #27
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
Um, if your brisket comes out great on your kamado without wrapping, why are you wrapping it on the stick burner? Go nekkid young man, go nekkid...

kamodo style cookers have less airflow or convection. this makes bark form more slowly. sometimes it takes almost the whole cook to get the bark right.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #28
BuffettFan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
“brisket is done at 172° but it’s a little tough to chew!

A little tough? A LITTLE???
Opening myself up to some ridicule here, but I didn't have a clue what I was doing at the time.
20 some years ago, I pulled my first brisket out of my brand new electric smoker at 140*.
It was the tastiest shoe I've ever eaten!

Old 10-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #29
THoey1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
kamodo style cookers have less airflow or convection. this makes bark form more slowly. sometimes it takes almost the whole cook to get the bark right.
I can understand that, but not like you get too much bark on a stick burner. Why add an extra step when you are already trying a different cooker? I try to limit the number of complexities when trying something new. Small changes, figure out what works, what doesn't.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #30
mstewart39
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post

The reason I tell myself for wrapping in the stick burner is that the air does not stay as moist as it does in the kamado.

The real reason is that I watched Aaron Franklin wrap brisket in his Youtube video. The problem is he just grabs it and wiggles it up & down in the video to determine when it is done, and I'm afraid I don't have that skill.

I guess I could try unwrapped in the stick burner, but so many people here seem to wrap. I just wish I had a good way to probe while it's wrapped. Maybe this weekend I'll try another brisket and either probe through the paper or try without.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Thanks from: --->