MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #1
ADJ
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Smoked Bison Ribs

Good Afternoon BBQ Brethren

This past Friday I picked up a couple racks of Bison ribs and I'm looking for any helpful hints anyone can offer. I know that Bison is a lean meat so cooking it can be tricky. I'll be slow smoking these beauties on a UDS and I'm thinking about cold smoking them before turning up the heat.

Any help will be great appreciated!

AJ
ADJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
Joshw
is Blowin Smoke!

Never cooked ribs, but have done Bison roasts. Not sure what you mean by cranking the heat, but I would be leery of going to hot. I would say 250 until probe tender. Should be about like cooking beef ribs.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #3
Smoking Piney
Babbling Farker

I've never cooked bison ribs, but I have cooked some bison steaks. Bison is VERY lean, and VERY easy to dry out. I learned the hard way my first time.

Just my 2 cents - treat it like venison.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2018, 06:17 PM   #4
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

If it were me I would pan them from the start with broth in the pan and cook for couple of hours to take on smoke then cover with foil and continue to cook until probe tender. Then pull ribs off the cooker, dry off the ribs then slather with bacon grease and do a quick sear.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
kfdvm
On the road to being a farker

I just did some elk ribs. Put Lowery’s salt on lightly 12 hours before cook. Take out of refrigerator, lightly season while warming up to room temperature get fire going. Smoke until nice color, then wrap, I added one stick of butter, woshtershire sauce, soy sauce. Smoke until tender. Make sure and rest for 15 minutes. They were very good.
kfdvm is offline   Reply With Quote