Pellet Pooper Recs and pellets

chet8888

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello all,
The BGE to Stick burner thread got me thinking, but I didn't want to muddy the waters in that thread.

I've got a KJ Classic, had a Shirley for a small time but with life I wasn't getting enough use out of it.

I like the idea of set and forget, but want to get more smoke flavor. Which pellet pooper do you guys recommend, and then what is the best place to get pellets? And for general smoking (butts, brisket, occasional ribs) which flavor pellet do you all recommend?

Thanks for the help!

Not sure what your budget is… but I cannot recommend the MAK line of pellet grills highly enough! As far as pellets, my favorite are Cookin’ Pellets Perfect Mix. They work well on everything, IMO.

I’ve got a GMG Daniel Boone and never once have I had a complaint, nor have I thought to myself “there just isn’t enough smoke...”

Lumber Jack pellets all the way...

My budget is probably $1K or less, seeing as how some (**cough cough** my wife) would argue that I already have a grill/smoker, hahaha. But if I need to wait and save more, I can do that.

Robb- thanks for your DM, it wouldn't let me reply.

Any thoughts on the Silverbac ones? The Yoder would have been my initial though (although more than 1K) but all this I read about rust is making me skiddish.

Silverbac are just a brand. Z Grills is the OEM. Rec Tec at least customizes their cookers a bit once they receive them from China.

If my budget were $1k, I am almost certain I’d go with a Grilla Grills product. Great company w/ a solid cooker. They also seem to have a great customer base that doesn’t rip into each other if the the wrong question is asked by a newbie.

If you had to chose between the Grilla Grills or the Green Mountain Danielle Boone- which one would go for? They seem about the same price point.

If you had to chose between the Grilla Grills or the Green Mountain Danielle Boone- which one would go for? They seem about the same price point.

Personally, I’d go with the Grilla. I like Grillas insulated firebox. I also like how they have really beefed up the high wear and tear areas of the cooker with heavier gauge stainless construction. And although I have no hands on experience I like what I see in their new controller. The ability to allow bigger temps swings and more smoke is a good thing if you ask me. And then if you want to hold a more stable temp, you can change gears and do that as well. And as a bonus, the guys that run the company seem to be top notch dudes! :)

I can certainly vouch for the customer service of Grilla Grills, as well as their community being pretty great. I had the Grilla Grills Kong Kamado, and not their pellet smokers, but the customer service is top notch, and the head engineer (Mark Graham) makes himself pretty much available 24/7 if there's an issue. The new Silverbac looks pretty solid and people absolutely love the product and the brand.

I'm trying to decide between Gorilla and Rec Tec, maybe Black Friday will decide.

I really like my Potboss Copperhead. It does as good a job as any pellet smoker will do with smoke flavor. I have not tried grilling because it is dedicated to low and slow. My Pitboss grill is 5ish years old and still going strong.

As for pellets, I can not claim that Papas Premium grilling pellets from Fiber Energy Products are the best at this point, because I dont have enough time using them. However, they are my favorite so far out of Pitboss, B&B, GMG, chargrill and another I cant remember. I am using the Memphis blend for smoking and the flavor was great. They are a mile away from me at a local farm store, or 55 miles at a semi local bbq store.

Last edited:
I’ve tried most pellets and lumberjack are the best for me. Hickory are the strongest. I like pecan and cherry also.

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Id say grilla if your just buying once, we went with GMG to get our feet wet with PG’s and decided if we liked it we’d get a better one. Almost a year in and we are sold, probably cook on it 3 to 5 times a week.

At this point I’ve narrowed the search down to a MAK2 or a Yoder but Im in no real hurry cause we can’t really find fault with the Daniel Boone. I will say this, a direct grill option is a must for future PG purchases.

Every pellet pooper I've encountered has a clean smoke flavor. I would say Hickory pellets are the way to go for the strongest smoke flavor, and even then you may want to use an Amaze-N-Tube or something similar for extra supplemental smoke.

I have been an old school stick burner for a long time. The convenience of pellets at some point started to appeal to me. I look real hard at quite a few different brands. I decided to go with a Pitts & spitts Maverick 1250. It is made in America, all welded Construction in built like a tank. Very heavy gauge steel with no pop rivets or screws. It's going to cost you a little extra, but it is American made. The main cooking grate is 24 by 36 in, which is bigger than most I've seen. The upper shelf is substantial to and they both slide out. I highly recommend it.

I have been an old school stick burner for a long time. The convenience of pellets at some point started to appeal to me. I look real hard at quite a few different brands. I decided to go with a Pitts & spitts Maverick 1250. It is made in America, all welded Construction in built like a tank. Very heavy gauge steel with no pop rivets or screws. It's going to cost you a little extra, but it is American made. The main cooking grate is 24 by 36 in, which is bigger than most I've seen. The upper shelf is substantial to and they both slide out. I highly recommend it.

Not a lot of Pitts guys around here... which is kind of surprising. Let’s see some pics of it. I love the looks of the PS poopers.

How do you like it compared to stick burning? Just curious :)

I’ve got a GMG Daniel Boone and never once have I had a complaint, nor have I thought to myself “there just isn’t enough smoke...”

Lumber Jack pellets all the way...

Agree with the comment completely. The only thing I have noticed is the heat can be a little uneven.

Back