firebrick pros n cons

troy64

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with adding firebricks to a stick burner? Saw a video where a fairly large sized smoker had a row of firebricks added directly onto the internal baffles. Claim was it stabilized the temps evenly across smoker.

I don't think I would say firebrick could stabilize anything.
It isn't very dense, so there isn't much of any heat sink properties to it. Of course there as many different types of firebrick.
Where Firebrick does excel is being an insulator between the metal, and the fire itself. I recommend it for any firebox to give the metal the added longevity so it doesn't burn out too soon.
Sacrifice the firebrick, instead of the metal structure.

I would say that you could use bricks to hold heat and try to keep a steadier temperature. 5 or 6 years ago I started using firebricks stacked on the sides of my firebox in my stick burner to try and hold the temps more steady. I saw that used as a mod somewhere, so it may work good in the cook chamber too?

I use them in my firebox to do exactly what SonnyE mentioned and extend the life of the metal. I put six of them in a tight square and then go to town. I even have some that I use in my firepit to do the same. I have seen no difference good or bad in how it cooks and performs:

Q2npJufh.jpg

Last edited:
as mentioned, some are marginal insulators, some are superb insulators, and some retain heat. Too many types.

i halve a lange 60 original i lined the firebox and the tunnel that runs under the searplate yes it does help with stabilizing the pit as well as heat management

i halve a lange 60 original i lined the firebox and the tunnel that runs under the searplate yes it does help with stabilizing the pit as well as heat management

What type bricks and where did you get them?

What type bricks and where did you get them?

Check for places that sell airtight stoves in your area. I refurbished a heating stove and a local fireside store had the right bricks for the liner.

Or you can shop on Amazon, for example.

Measure the area you'd like to cover, and shop for that Square Inch Area.
No mortar, just lay them in. Ash will bed them.
If you cut them, wear a respirator. :rolleyes:

I am thinking that on top of the baffle would create a problem with grease flowing to the drain and cleaning.

I am thinking that on top of the baffle would create a problem with grease flowing to the drain and cleaning.

Good point. I did think about that but the pit is slightly lower towards both where the drains are installed. It's a gravity flow in both directions so once on the belly of the pit it should still make it's way to the drain.

Back