Dallas BBQ Is Real!

OklaDustDevil

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Brought my wife and kids back to Dallas for Thanksgiving with family. We moved away long ago, in 2004, when Dallas BBQ places primarily were small chains, for the most part “meh.” Had to drive to Fort Worth, other outlying cities, or best of all, Central Texas, for really great Texas ‘que.

Nonetheless, after flying in last night, I had to find some BBQ for lunch today. I had heard about this place

NubU6bP.jpg

a couple years ago. Easy to access, one block off I35, the outside looked like a traditional Texas BBQ joint:

PMN2e4c.jpg

We visit Dallas a few times per year, so I knew about the resurgence of Texas BBQ throughout the state in the past 5-10 years. But I was unprepared for Slow Bone. Absolutely off the charts.

hJ93zik.jpg

My kids said lunch was a religious experience — I found it just as good as any I’ve had in Central Texas. The meats were unbelievable and the sides were great. And super-friendly staff.

What other Dallas BBQ places do folks recommend? I know about Pecan Lodge and Lockhart Smokehouse, any others we should try while here? We have until Sun.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Last edited:
407BBQ. A little north, I35W & FM407 in Argyle. If you want to go there, Saturday will be your only day. Closed tomorrow, Friday & Sunday. Hard 8 is pretty good too.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of Hutchins in McKinney (they also have one in Frisco but haven't been there).

https://hutchinsbbq.com/

I've been to Frisco. Largely the same excellent quality. The one thing I remember being different is that there are no combo plates (2 meat +2 sides for example). Everything is a à la carte. Luckily, they do offer the AYCE.

Brought my wife and kids back to Dallas for Thanksgiving with family. We moved away long ago, in 2004, when Dallas BBQ places primarily were small chains, for the most part “meh.” Had to drive to Fort Worth, other outlying cities, or best of all, Central Texas, for really great Texas ‘que.

Nonetheless, after flying in last night, I had to find some BBQ for lunch today. I had heard about this place

NubU6bP.jpg

a couple years ago. Easy to access, one block off I35, the outside looked like a traditional Texas BBQ joint:

PMN2e4c.jpg

We visit Dallas a few times per year, so I knew about the resurgence of Texas BBQ throughout the state in the past 5-10 years. But I was unprepared for Slow Bone. Absolutely off the charts.

hJ93zik.jpg

My kids said lunch was a religious experience — I found it just as good as any I’ve had in Central Texas. The meats were unbelievable and the sides were great. And super-friendly staff.

What other Dallas BBQ places do folks recommend? I know about Pecan Lodge and Lockhart Smokehouse, any others we should try while here? We have until Sun.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

I had never heard of this place but after your review I decide to go check it out.

I ordered two types of sausage,
Chicken
Ribs
Brisket.

I will say this is the best BBQ Ive had in Dallas.

Actual Smokey aroma that a lot of the others don't have.

Ribs. Excellent. Savory not sweet which is exactly how I cook mine. Very good tenderness. Just a little salty but not bad at all.

Chicken. Again juicy and tender. Nice smoke flavor.savory not sweet.

Sausages: brilliant. Simply delious.

Brisket: Im no fan of brisket(it doesn't have flavor without sauce)
Their brisket was really good, but it was still the least interesting meat of all. Not enough flavor and as always the flat is too lean and the point is too fat. But, people who like brisket will love their brisket.

Sauce: very interesting. I appreciated that it was not syrupy sweet like other sauces but I think it could have used just a little more sweet

Thanks! I may be getting down there in a few weeks to visit? Will have to check it out

Back