• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A few fatty questions

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing my first fatty for the superbowl. I have a few questions that I haven't come across answers to while searching.

If I do 2lbs of sausage, seasoned with bbq rub, roll it with onions, jalapenos and cheese, and cover it with weaved bacon, about how long am I looking to cook it?

I assume I should have a thermometer in there to make sure the inside gets to reasonable temperature?

I was going to serve it sliced with BBQ sauce.

i dunno, maybe 165*ish? i just pull it when i have a nice bark.

i'd suggest a nekkid 1 pounder and a wrapped 1 pounder.

it's nice to see what au natural can do. :wink:

I've got a question myself. I made my first two fatties the other week. One naked and one wrapped with cheddar and peppers. I rolled it out between two sheets of wax paper and when I went to roll it back up, it stuck to the wax paper and looked horrible when done. How do you keep the sausage from sticking? Thanks.

I've got a question myself. I made my first two fatties the other week. One naked and one wrapped with cheddar and peppers. I rolled it out between two sheets of wax paper and when I went to roll it back up, it stuck to the wax paper and looked horrible when done. How do you keep the sausage from sticking? Thanks.

pam-spray.jpg

I use sheets of plastic wrap on top of my sushi mat - works like a champ..

Any reason I shouldn't prep my fatty today for a cook tomorrow? Need the extra time so I can watch the big match before the big game.

Any reason I shouldn't prep my fatty today for a cook tomorrow? Need the extra time so I can watch the big match before the big game.

No that's fine, I actually prefer to make mine ahead of time and place it in the fridge to firm up.

As mentioned above sushi mats are great to help when rolling.

If you have any silicone baking mats (or something else similar) it helps when making them and keeping everything even when rolling it back up.
I just roll mine with the silicone mats and then place on plastic wrap. I spray the mat lightly with pam or olive oil to help with release if needed.

Roll it out in a gallon zip lock bag. Then cut the edges of the bag to open it up. You can keep a nice square shape this way and it shouldn't stick. :-D

I see no reason you can't, unless you are going to stuff it with something that would get funky in that amount of time. I love em' naked though, it only takes 2 minutes to take it out of the package, hit it with rub and onto the smoke!

Back