Padawan;s Sauerkraut dish with duck breast fillet

padawan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Today i make Sauerkraut dish with a duck breast fillet..
IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2231.jpg

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

the sauerkraut i mixed it with tomato puree

I love duck!

Harder and harder to find a whole duck nowadays here at the markets.

Breasts are great though. Most people mess them up by cooking them too hot and fast.

Nice job!

I love duck!

Harder and harder to find a whole duck nowadays here at the markets.

Breasts are great though. Most people mess them up by cooking them too hot and fast.

Nice job!

I love crispy skin on duck breast. How would you accomplish that cooking it any other way than with hot and fast? Suggestions? :noidea:

I love crispy skin on duck breast. How would you accomplish that cooking it any other way than with hot and fast? Suggestions? :noidea:

You have to cook the duck breast at medium or medium low and slowly to render off the fat under the skin.

If you cook it too fast the fat doesn't render and it is spongy and not crisp.

Cook the duck breast skin side down save the fat and remove it as it cooks.

Eventually the fat will render and the skin will be thinner.

Then cook it on the meat side to finish it.

At the very end you can crisp it with a hotter temp but many times the skin will be crispy enough that you don't have to do that.

The secret of getting crispy skin is to get the skin separated from the meat underneath, this can be done by rendering the fat or as the chinese do they blow it up with an air compressor so that there is an air pocket between the skin and the meat.

Now since the skin is not attached to the meat it will get crisp that is the secret of the chinese roast ducks and pekin ducks.

Last edited:
Looks incredibly good, padawan! Thanks for the tip on crispy skin, sandiegobbq! I do remember my mom blowing up a whole duck with a bicycle pump. She had it hanging from the chandelier over a pan on our diningroom table for 2 days. My husband came home from work, stopped, looked at the duck hanging there, and said "some pagan ritual, perhaps?" lol I just remember the skin being deliciously crispy, and the meat tender and juicy. :thumb:

That is fancy! I haven't tried cooking duck yet, but I do like to eat it. I'm gonna start looking for duck. :hungry:

Back