• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New build, new build toy w/pic's

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Started life as an air bladder type water well tank, 26 inches in diameter, about 4 feet tall (not counting the built in base) - about 120 gallons. That's my son Kyle, primary builder and prospective owner.
013_zpsdd18bab5.jpg

Laid out a vertical stick burner design & started cutting.
010_zps39de2468.jpg

Very strange tank. Thin wall and its actually a tank in a tank. Imagine a 26 inch diameter 2-1/2 ft tank with another 1-1/2 ft extension welded on top. Made for some challenging cutting but we got it done.
012_zps18209312.jpg

016_zps2899e6ff.jpg

018_zps0fe65d1f.jpg

And cleaned it up with grinders & sanders. Saved the original 1-1/4 inch plumbing fixture at the bottom of the tank to use as a drain.
image_zpsfef4e7aa.jpg

The thin wall steel was a challenge, the doors lost their radius as soon as they were cut. But we found a really neat tool that was up to the challenge. This is a tubing bender from Harbor Freight shown experimenting with the angle iron die.
023_zps7425c9a0.jpg

027_zps52762681.jpg

Put in the correct 1/2 inch square tubing dies and bent the 1/2 inch square tubing to the correct radius (26 inches), reformed the doors to the 1/2 square tubing and welded it up. Worked perfect. Added an air intake and some latches (thanks BBQ Bandit). Note the single 4 inch air intake added at the bottom, it just opens into the center of the tank directly below the fire grate. Added a damper a little later in the build. Really simple and very effective air inlet control!
002_zps6f0d56c6.jpg

004_zpsc703a71d.jpg

005_zps9b9bc041.jpg

Also used the tubing bender to fabricate some really neat grill grates that match the tank radius front and back. For reference, the cooking grates are like having 3 Weber 26.75 grill grates in the thing - lots of cooking real estate on a really small footprint. Can't see them but we also adding in some 1/2 inch steel rods to be able to hang meat.
002_zps3c497819.jpg

Added a heat deflector - 5/16 steel plate w/ 2 inch radius cut front and back.
001_zps8ab60927.jpg

And a firebox grate.
004_zps2dc9ed9b.jpg

Washed it down, painted the exterior, slathered peanut oil on the inside and fired it up for a burn-in. Came up to temp very quickly, ran it up to 470*-500* for an hour or so, played with draft and fire control for a few hours.
009_zpsbd8994fe.jpg

012_zpsc8b5360d.jpg

011_zpsa4169cab.jpg

From the test burn, we can tell this thing is gonna cook great, If anything we will need to work with smaller fires, but managing in the 250*-350* range is pretty easy. Once we had a coal bed, a couple of splits threw off some nasty smoke for 5 minutes then went to clear blue for a couple hours. Final shot, going to be cooking something this weekend.
009_zpsbd8994fe.jpg

Thanks for looking.

excellent Dave!

I have one of those tanks in my well pit at my cabin

every time I go down there to turn my water on I give it the eye LOL

Wow, and to think I wanted to buy something, I might have to find some tools to barrow and see what I can fabricate :)

LOVE IT!. thats awesome. is it charcoal based and then the splits go on top? or do you just light the splits?

thanks

Damn Dude you got Skills - That was Freakin Amazing. I wish I had the gift to see a piece of crap and see in it what you did. That is unreal. :hail:

Back