Need help before I foul up

TuscaloosaQ

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Well I decided to cook a whole ribeye for tonight. So it weighs 14#s and i want to cook on my cooker, I will prolly be running around 300/350 it will be cooked in my warming chamber that i have equipped with a charcoal/wood basket. The meat will be cooked around 18 to 24"s away from the fire/ but the fire will be directly under the meat. Any tips will be appreciated i would like it to be at least medium rare. what temp do i pull it??? how long do you think it will take?? Have you ever done this??? Mamma said why not do it in the oven but...... Daddy is hard headed

I would suggest a diffuser plate of some kind between the fire and roast. What kind of smoker are you using? Why not just cook it in the smoking chamber if it has one

It is on a custom built reverse flow I built with a warmer cabinent. I cook brisket in the warmer all the time i have added a charcoal basket to it. Just do not want to fire the whole cooker up for one roast/ Ribeye

I'm doing a 14.5 lb'er myself today and have done this several times before. I'll cook mine at 325-350 cooker temp until it reaches 120 IT, then I'll either put it on another HOT smoker (450-500d) or likely just throw it in the oven at 500d until the IT is at 135 (med rare). Then I rest and carve. I'm planning on about 4 hours total cook time, including the "reverse sear".

Here's a good website on the basics of making a prime rib roast:
http://www.primesteakhouses.com/how-to-cook-prime-rib.html
NOTE: although the website is not necessarily about SMOKING, times and temps and basics will still apply.

Good luck!

Back