• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Advice For A New Judge

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
After 6 or 8 years of having schedule problems, or no contests nearby when I was on days off, I have finally signed up for a judging class next week prior to the Wyoming State BBQ contest in Worland, WY. It sounds like a fun weekend.

Any advice or tips from some of you veterans is welcomed

Stay our of the BBQ Brethren Comp sections and never, ever voice your opinion publicly about what what YOU think is good BBQ.

Other than that go, have fun and do your best.

Remember that its not life or death. Watch where you fall in the "bell curve" when the scores are announced during class. If you find yourself always 2 points lower then the low average you might be too critical. :)

Get there early and meet all the people you can. Have fun.

First off, don't be discouraged by the dick sitting next to you. He's at every class sometimes he's a cook from an almost star BBQ team, sometimes he knows someone who knows everything about BBQ, sometimes he is an expert at the 'ol gas grill.
Mostly listen to the intent of what KCBS is wanting from you. These are the rules, read them more than just the one time. Here is how we want you to do this, so that all teams are starting out on even playing feilds.
Your taste and preference does matter, but it shall be apllied in a fair and even manor.
I think the only way to understand everyone's thoughts and intentions is to stand in their shoes for a while.
In the end, you'll get from the class exactly what you put into the class.
Have fun, learn some, and grow each time you judge. I've come to the conclusion after 4 years, you'lll never know it all.
ModelMaker

Go in with an open mind. The class that I went to one guy cook for everyone. Some of the food was good but most bad. Listen to instructor and read the book. I learned the most doing my first judging. Got there a little early and just went around asking the other judges questions. SaucyWench was my table captain, she was very helpful.

Star BBQ team. I like the sound of that.8)
Perry Brothers & Sons starring Dale Perry! Coming to a comp near you.

Judging was fun. It was worth the trip and a hell of a lot easier then cooking. The whole time while we were Judging, I was wishing that we were competing instead. But I got it bad..

Forget everything you know is True about BBQ. LOL

I love the comment about "the Dick Next to you"

That was priceless. So farking true I can't even believe it. Perfect.

What a load of crap. I am friendly to just about everyone I meet at comps but my kindness can only go so far when im pushed. Do you get off making people mad?

The class that I went to one guy cook for everyone. Some of the food was good but most bad.

If you werent from KY, I would have sworn you must have been at one of the two CBJ classes I cooked for in Burbank!

What a load of crap. I am friendly to just about everyone I meet at comps but my kindness can only go so far when im pushed. Do you get off making people mad?

Jesus Dale scroll up.... theres a guy that advises to "ignore the Dick sitting next to you" LOL

SCROLL UP.

First off, don't be discouraged by the dick sitting next to you. He's at every class sometimes he's a cook from an almost star BBQ team, sometimes he knows someone who knows everything about BBQ,
ModelMaker

This line Dale...

LOL

Stay our of the BBQ Brethren Comp sections and never, ever voice your opinion publicly about what what YOU think is good BBQ.

Other than that go, have fun and do your best.

:shock: :lol: :cool:

I was going to say: "Remember there are no bad cooks, only bad judges." But I figured I'd just keep that to myself. :twisted:

Leave the cooler AT HOME.

Taste enough of the BBQ that is presented to you to actually know what it's like.

Discuss with other judges after each category judging is over to see where you were.

Crackers and water are there for a reason: to get the taste of the previous sample out of your mouth so you can fairly taste the next.

Don't judge it on what you like or dislike. For instance, if you hate spicy BBQ but someone turns in spicy food, don't score it down. You ask yourself if that is a good representation of spicy BBQ and score it as such.

Any advice or tips from some of you veterans is welcomed

Go with a Brethren member.

When the guy at your table says "I make an awesome barbecued grilled ice cream",

turn to your Brethren buddy, laugh amongst yourselves, and enjoy it.

Parrothead and I laughed about that for years.

Too funny.

And the guy is probably a Master Judge now

Leave the cooler AT HOME.

Crackers and water are there for a reason: to get the taste of the previous sample out of your mouth so you can fairly taste the next.

Why leave the cooler at home? My KCBS CBJ instructor suggested we bring it.

Also, be careful about eating too many crackers, they'll fill you up. If you snag a little parsley out of a box, you can chew that, instead.

We usually bring the cooler but don't use it. Sometimes they will let you have stuff off the excess table, but if not , you are bringing home chicken, brisket and ribs with a bite or two taken out of them , all in the same box.

Back