hbt welding........

Tut-T-Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
saw a company called HBTWelding www.hbtwelding.com Anyone know anything about the company? the prices are dirt cheap, but they are using the same material as a Lang would for their smokers. Any advice, knowledge on these guys? also Im new to the forum and jus wanna say hi to all. South Jersey native.

I have no knowledge of this company but I find it highly suspicious that they are selling a 500 gallon reverse flow on a trailer for $2500. I am in the process of securing materials to build that exact setup. I picked up the 500 gallon tank for $100, and I got lucky that my metal supplier ran a 30% off, 4 hour sale yesterday. I was able to pickup all my metal material and save $500 bucks on that portion. Having said all that I am already above $2500, and that doesn't include consumables, paint and most importantly time.

There is a reason that Lang sells the 108 for $7500 bucks. I tend to think if it seems to good to be true it probably is, but it wouldn't stop me from checking them out pretty closely. I am sure being in the metal working business they can get materials below my cost, even when taking that into account, I just don't see how they can afford to build that cooker without losing money.

Other than the two exhausts on the reverse flow, there isn't anything that sticks out as "off" about the reverse flow. But I just can't wrap my head around that cooker selling for $2500, any chance that is a typo and it should be $5500?

At $2500, they have to be losing money, unless this material is all "leftover" from bigger builds that they do.

I have one from them and love it. Did a couple inexpensive mods and it cooks great. Paid 1600.00 new for it on ebay. My friend got his diamond plate for 1900.00 straight from them. They of course get a bad rap on here by some name brand boys but it is what it is. It's a decent size metal smoker for the price of a XL Big green egg with tail lights and a charcoal pit. Here's mine with a few mods

I have one from them and love it. Did a couple inexpensive mods and it cooks great. Paid 1600.00 new for it on ebay. My friend got his diamond plate for 1900.00 straight from them. They of course get a bad rap on here by some name brand boys but it is what it is. It's a decent size metal smoker for the price of a XL Big green egg with tail lights and a charcoal pit. Here's mine with a few mods

Yeah they look like good cookers, the price is just so good that it makes me nervous! If they can survive selling them at that price then more power to them as it really is none of my business.

I was leery too and didn't pay till I seen it. When I went down and picked it up he had a flat semi truck out of Oklahoma there filled up head back out to sell them. I guess they build 2-3 units a day and a majority of them head out west to sell.
The firebox is a little small and he had only 2 intake vents in it so it was kind of hard to get it up to 250 without the door cracked. I put 2 more intakes and can crank 350 without a problem. When my buddy picked his up HBT,l they now have a larger firebox and another vent.
I still scratch my head every time I cook wondering how this guy makes any money.

First, let me say there are a lot of design features I really like about this pit. Herevis a somewhat dated thread with imbedded links to other discussions for your reading/research pleasure.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170962

It appears there are 3 companies making a variation of the same design, HTB Welding, Custom Pits and Greasyhill. Early models had some pretty serious issues with size of the firebox, intakes and exhaust that lead to difficulties in getting up to temp and aintaining a goid clean fire.

That said,it appears the builders, certainly Custom Pits, have since corrected the shortcomings.

EDIT: Here is a more recent thread about mods to the Greasyhill version of this pit.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175187

Sounds like Fatmike has the most recent experience, I'm happy to hear the issues have been addressed and/or there are mods that will make them good cookers.

I just ordered a porch model from custom pits. Terrific customer service, very responsive to questions. I should be getting it soon. Can't wait.

Some seem to like their pits, others not so much. Custom Pits, HBT, and Greasyhill are from the same company. I'm weary of a company who goes by 3 different names.

Go with Shirley Fabrication. Awesome representation, product, and quality.

Some seem to like their pits, others not so much. Custom Pits, HBT, and Greasyhill are from the same company. I'm weary of a company who goes by 3 different names.

That by itself shouldn't be a problem. The same guy builds Rebel, Superior and Assassin gravity fed cookers and all are great quality.

You're right, it shouldn't be a problem. But just because one manufacturer who has a good product and multiple names doesn't mean the next guy will be the same.

You're right, it shouldn't be a problem. But just because one manufacturer who has a good product and multiple names doesn't mean the next guy will be the same.

But it doesn't automatically mean the next guy will be bad, either. My point is that just because someone makes products sold under different brands that doesn't mean they are shady or build crappy products. Evaluate the products themselves, and don't pre-judge.

I'm not pre-judging, there are already multiple threads on the quality of that company(s) floating around.

I'm a little late to the rodeo here... I've been looking at an hbt for some time. It doesn't look like those three are the same company. I just think all three purchased the same PDF on rev flow smoker design.

Anyway, is there anyone else out there with an opinion on them?

I've never laid hands on one but they look like solid units and as too the price it all depends on the quantity of materials they buy on a yearly basis, when I built my RF I used 3/16 plate and it was around $300 a sheet (4'x8') every where I looked but my boss let me purchase it through our company account and I paid $96per sheet and that included delivery so that being said they could still turn a profit at that price.

Back