Tony Chacheres injectable marinade Vs. My own cook off!

BayoustateBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok folks I've been working on duplicating the Tony's butter injection. So first we got some fryers and injected one with one injection and the other with mine and let rest over night. Then I added my own "cluck rub". Want a cheap rub shaker? I use Blackburn preserves and when the bottle is empty I poke holes in the top and it holds almost exactly 2 cups.

picture.php

picture.php

Dusted the chickens and let them sit in the fridge for another hour and started up the smoker.

picture.php

picture.php

First time with the new $48 Master Forge thanks to burntbutt. Filled the bottom with a combo of Stubbs hardwood briquettes and some forgot the name lump. Started my chimney and sprinkled the hot lump over the charcoal in the bottom pan.
I did notice after an hour I was at about 300-313* so I would like to add a damper to the top for more control.

Put the chickens in with the probes and began smoking with Applewood

picture.php

picture.php

After about 3 hours I pulled them
I know a few burn edges, next time I'll put the rub on thicker aswell

picture.php

picture.php

Best of all we threw it on styrofoam plates and plastic forks like us country folks do

picture.php

Smoker performed great I would like to add a rack in the bottom below the coals for ashes and I would also like to add an Air damper on top.

Big question is: who's injection was better?

Well both had the same moisture, Tony's was more buttery but mine had more flavor. So we called it a draw. Hope you enjoyed.:clap2:

Those are nice little smokers for the price. A few easy mods and they function just like a WSM. UDS style fire basket, simple damper control for the intake hole, exhaust in dome lid, and seal up the gap where lid sits in center section is all it takes.

There is nothing wrong with cooking chicken a bit hotter. If you could get it cruising at 350, you'll be surprised how much faster and juicier the birds will cook up.

I ran one of those smokers for 3 years before graduating to the akorn. I drilled holes in the top and on the sides of the bottom. I didn't not install a damper, but after mods mine would burn 1 chimney worth of charcoal for 6 hours at 250 before adding any more.

Personally I like a little color on my chicken, and those look dang good, almost like broasted chicken. I also agree with el ropo on cooking birds in the 300+ range. They just seem to come out nicer than when cooked low and slow. Nice job man.

Back