MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #31
seeker
Found some matches.

Like Karjar said and I did in my original post, the notches are not ncessary to use the KJ setup. The only real benefit of the notches is it locks in the legs of the rack and makes in quite a bit more sturdy.

If you look at the Kamado Joe's fire ring, they have the same 3 notches so I just copied their layout.
seeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #32
Socks
Knows what a fatty is.

For those who have a vision, you can also do low temps with just a cheap pizza pan wrapped in foil on the bottom rack in a pinch.
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #33
Tallen234
Found some matches.

Great Topic! I just got my Vision from Costco on Sunday. Getting ready to fire it up tomorrow (probably beer can chicken). With the temperature in Phoenix about 115, I probably don't need any fuel to get it going!

Has anyone tried the adjustable rig set up from the ceramic grill store? http://ceramicgrillstore.com/vision-big-green-egg.html

Kinda pricey but it does seem to have a bunch of options.
Tallen234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #34
Socks
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen234 View Post
Great Topic! I just got my Vision from Costco on Sunday. Getting ready to fire it up tomorrow (probably beer can chicken). With the temperature in Phoenix about 115, I probably don't need any fuel to get it going!

Has anyone tried the adjustable rig set up from the ceramic grill store? http://ceramicgrillstore.com/vision-big-green-egg.html

Kinda pricey but it does seem to have a bunch of options.
What might be the advantages to that more expensive rig? I'm too tired to think for myself... Anyone interested in thinking on my behalf may do so at the beep.

beep.
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #35
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Socks, I do similar to you, use a cheapo cookie sheet above the stone. I think a 16" or 16.5" suits this kamado better than a 15", the one that came with it is 15" and as far as I can tell, is too small, lets too much heat past and chars the edges of what I'm cooking too much. My pizza pan is a rectangle and sits on the fire bowl but under the bi-level grill. Heat comes up directly from the two long sides of the cookie sheet. It's good enough for now and catches juices/fat keeping my kamado cleaner inside -- I like smoking large pork shoulders. At some point I'd like to improve my set-up but for now it works okay.

Thanks for the link to the ceramic grill store, Tallen234, I've bookmarked it to study later. I've cooked the most amazing grub on my Vision kamado, it's a huge pleasure to use after struggling so long on the old COS, you're in for a treat.

(Hey Socks, just noticed you're in TO, I lived there the first 42 years of my life!)
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #36
Tallen234
Found some matches.

At the very least, this store has a spider and stone that is "custom" made for the Vision. For someone like me who has very little mechanical know-how, I would lean toward buying someone ready to go, as opposed to modifying. (I would love to be able to "modify"). With the fancy rig, you get a better constructed grill, the spider, the stone and the drip pan. I may just buy the spider and stone from them. That is about $70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks View Post
What might be the advantages to that more expensive rig? I'm too tired to think for myself... Anyone interested in thinking on my behalf may do so at the beep.

beep.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #37
Tallen234
Found some matches.

I just noticed that the KJ Deflector is not available on ACE Hardware or Amazon websites. Must be all of the Vision owners scrambling for them. Maybe I will stop by a local Ace to see if they still have one.

EDIT: I just went down to my local Ace Hardware and bought the KJ Deflector. It was 49.99.

Last edited by Tallen234; 08-15-2012 at 04:03 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #38
Lars
Found some matches.

Thanks for all the great info and Pix, I just picked up a Vision Classic at Costco last weekend and after seeing this thread earlier today I stopped by my local Ace Hardware and picked up a KJ deflector. I was surprised they had one!

Tomorrow: pork shoulder!
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #39
smaktalker
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Wish I can find one

Why can't I find the heat deflector anywhere?????? Annoying as hell
smaktalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #40
Tallen234
Found some matches.

ACE Hardware seems your best bet. That's where I got mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaktalker View Post
Why can't I find the heat deflector anywhere?????? Annoying as hell

Old 08-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #41
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

I got a Vision Kamado about 2 weeks ago and grilles some steaks.Foe smokingI realized I would need a diffuser. Vision sells one that is available at Hime Depot

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...N#.UDbmHKAdNqw

this unit has a bracket that places the stone below the grate so both grates can still be used for smoking. I checked at the local HD and this is only available on line while I was there, I saw this for $13

Ialso picked up a 14" teracotta pot base for $9 and a couple of 1/2" non galvanized steel bars to make a bracket.

I tried it with some ABTs with good results.

the brackets put the plate 4" below the grate.

$9 for the plate and $6 for the steel is a lot better than $50 for their stone.

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #42
smaktalker
Got rid of the matchlight.

I found out from KJ, can't order online. Have to go to a supplier. Oh well. Ordered a heat deflector from Ace at store. 50 bucks cant go wrong...
smaktalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #43
skast
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I just got back from Costco in Livermore. They still carry the Vision Classic for $399. I have not been able to find a deflector or volcanic stone for my Vision. Home Depot and Sears are both out of stock. I don't know where the closest Ace Hardware is, but will check online for info. Thanks for that. I used my Vision for the first time and fixed BBQ chicken. It was better tasking than results from my Weber gas grill. I had no trouble getting and holding temp after following your advice about lowering the flame within 50 degrees of coming to temp. 2 hours after closing the vents temp dropped to 150. It was stone cold this morning, but I was too chicken to touch it - just checked the thermometer.
skast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #44
AmericanCobra
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skast View Post
I just got back from Costco in Livermore. They still carry the Vision Classic for $399. I have not been able to find a deflector or volcanic stone for my Vision. Home Depot and Sears are both out of stock. I don't know where the closest Ace Hardware is, but will check online for info. Thanks for that. I used my Vision for the first time and fixed BBQ chicken. It was better tasking than results from my Weber gas grill. I had no trouble getting and holding temp after following your advice about lowering the flame within 50 degrees of coming to temp. 2 hours after closing the vents temp dropped to 150. It was stone cold this morning, but I was too chicken to touch it - just checked the thermometer.
I bought a pizza stone from BBQ Galore wrapped in foil and placed it in a Spider rig from Ceramic Grill Store and it's been working just as well as my mother in laws BGE with plate setter...
AmericanCobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #45
bbqrules
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Harry View Post
I got a Vision Kamado about 2 weeks ago and grilles some steaks.Foe smokingI realized I would need a diffuser. Vision sells one that is available at Hime Depot

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...N#.UDbmHKAdNqw

this unit has a bracket that places the stone below the grate so both grates can still be used for smoking. I checked at the local HD and this is only available on line while I was there, I saw this for $13

Ialso picked up a 14" teracotta pot base for $9 and a couple of 1/2" non galvanized steel bars to make a bracket.

I tried it with some ABTs with good results.

the brackets put the plate 4" below the grate.

$9 for the plate and $6 for the steel is a lot better than $50 for their stone.
I purchased the exact same pizza stone for my Vision and it has been working well. I love the "flower pot" setup. How is that holding up? Looks like a simple mod that will give me the lower grate surface area back for more meat during a low and slow.

I do love this grill.
bbqrules is offline   Reply With Quote