MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
bschoen
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bruce
Question Storing smoked cheese

The current thread on smoking cheese reminded me that I have a question on this topic. I normally just smoke 4 or 5 pounds of cheese at a time, then wrap in parchment, vacuum seal and leave in the refrigerator for a few weeks. It then gets consumed (too) quickly.

This time around I would like to smoke maybe 20-30 pounds, taking advantage of the winter cold weather. In the past I have frozen some cheese for longer term storage, but have never been happy with the resulting texture when thawed.

So, you guys who smoke cheese in bulk, how do you keep it around for 6-12 months?
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #2
txsmkmstr
Full Fledged Farker

I vacuum seal and keep refrigerated very cold but not frozen. I've consumed blocks that were 12 months old and they tasted great. Probably wouldn't go much beyond that but then again they usually don't hang around that long.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

The beauty of cheese is that it lets you know when it's bad.
It either molds, stinks, or both.

I've smoked cheese and not eaten it for beyond 12 months and it was fine as long as the seal is still good.
pmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-22-2019, 03:33 PM   #4
bschoen
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Funny thing is, I like moldy stinky cheese. But only if it is supposed to be that way.

Thanks!
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #5
WilliamKY
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : William

As others have said I vacuum seal the cheese and keep it in the bottom drawer of refrigerator. It usually doesn't last more than a few weeks or maybe a month but I did hold a block of white cheddar for 11 months and it was excellent. I cant say it was much better than white cheddar I opened after 2 weeks though. Once it's vacuum sealed I think the aging ends but I'm not a cheese expert.
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #6
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Never had any cheese once smoked go bad in the vac seal bags, will admit never had any last much beyond 6 months. I usually do 10 to 20 pounds at a time. Before I got my vac sealer I double wrapped the cheese tight in saran wrap and it worked out just fine, I do feel that vac sealing helps the smoke to penetrate deeper into the cheese. I do hard cheeses and softer cheeses like Gouda and Munster.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2019, 07:13 AM   #7
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Properly stored, a vac-sealed chunk of cheddar cheese will last for about 6 months in the refrigerator. I've had some go over 8 months, and I have frozen vac-sealed cheese without any noticable changes in texture. Keep away from doors and don't sit directly on the shelves of a "self-defrosting" freezer. Thaw slowly in the refrigerator over several days in the refrigerator before opening for consumption.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #8
Seefyre
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

I regularly go 12 months or more vacuum packing cheese after I smoke it. I find it keeps getting better

Old 01-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #9
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsmkmstr View Post
I vacuum seal and keep refrigerated very cold but not frozen. I've consumed blocks that were 12 months old and they tasted great. Probably wouldn't go much beyond that but then again they usually don't hang around that long.
Exactly the same here. I keep it in the bottom drawer of my beer fridge. I don't bother wrapping in parchment just vac seal and in they go.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #10
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Poorman's version: I wrap the cheese blocks in Saran Wrap. Then, I place them in a Gallon-sized Zip-Lock. I roll the bag so *most* of the air is squozed out (yes, "squozed" is a real word). Into the freezer they go. Haven't tried 12 months (too may requests for mac and cheese), but I have done 6 with no problems.

Thanks from: --->