MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #1
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Costco's 14.32 lbs Prime brisket break down

Hi All Purchased a 14.32 lb prime brisket fro Costco last week.Here is the breakdown.
A 3.5 lb flat went as a Pot Roast, which came very good.
Now I have a 3.5 lb flat and 3 lb point, to cook together. The flat was injected with Butcher Prime Injection. The point I didn't inject looked like it had enough fat to keep it moist. Should have I injected the point?
Let see 3.5 flat pot roast
3.5 flat to be cooked
3.0 point to be cooked
That gave me 10 lbs of precooked brisket from the 14.32 lb, so 4.32 was fat looked like much more., when I was trimming it.

So at 225*-250* how much cooking time am I looking at?

Thanks DanB

Old 01-23-2019, 03:43 PM   #2
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

yes Costco briskets seem to have a bit if fat. still worth the price

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

I'm a heavy brisket trimmer and 4lbs off a 14lb prime brisket from Costco sounds about right in my experience.

Are you cooking on your Shirley? If so I'd crank that heat up to like 275* minimum. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:54 PM   #4
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
I'm a heavy brisket trimmer and 4lbs off a 14lb prime brisket from Costco sounds about right in my experience.

Are you cooking on your Shirley? If so I'd crank that heat up to like 275* minimum. Ain't nobody got time for that.
Hi Rain n cold here for the next few days..I may have to go to the oven.
Thanks Dan
PS Funny thing bout the brisket I had trouble separating the point from the flat.For some reason I couldn't find the line of fat that separates the two.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #5
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

I posted a thread once on how I trim briskets. There are many ways to do it and this one is mine. You should be able to locate the line of fat separating the two muscles in the series of pics I posted.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=258795

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-24-2019, 07:20 AM   #6
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Hi I have separated many brisket before. This one for some reason was puzzle for me.
Thanks Dan

Old 01-24-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Brisket

Hi All OK here is where the brisket is at after 8.5 hrs the flat is reading 205 and the point is at 202..The point is pretty much probe tender,making burnt ends. Should I pull it. The flat is still NOt probe tender in places.My problem is, it is 11 am here dinner is at 6pm..Wrap the flat in foil into a cooler with towels? Will it be OK at 6 pm?
Thanks DanB

Old 01-24-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

Cook until the flat is probe tender, disregard temperature.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #9
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Hi All OK here is where the brisket is at after 8.5 hrs the flat is reading 205 and the point is at 202..The point is pretty much probe tender,making burnt ends. Should I pull it. The flat is still NOt probe tender in places.My problem is, it is 11 am here dinner is at 6pm..Wrap the flat in foil into a cooler with towels? Will it be OK at 6 pm?
Thanks DanB
Wrap in paper or foil and hold for a bit....about 170. You can take it out an hour before service

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #10
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

It can sit in a decent cooler for well over 7 hours before it drops into the danger zone which is below 130.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #11
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Brisket Pics

Hi All Here are some of today's brisket pics. For some reason I could not label the pics?
Enjoy DanB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190123_153034849_HDR.jpg (64.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190124_113416319_HDR.jpg (68.2 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by DanB; 04-04-2019 at 09:27 AM..
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote