Sourdough Pizza on the Golden's Cast Iron

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
This started over the weekend with a need to feed my refrigerated Sourdough Starter. I moved it to a Mason jar, fed it and realized that it was about to take over the kitchen the next day. So I started yet another science experiment, moving some to another jar and feeding that one with Whole Wheat flour.

Still threatening to take over the kitchen. Whole Wheat is on the left and was used for this dough -

I stumbled across a gozney.com YouTube video on Sourdough pizza (these folks make the Roccbox) and another science experiment ensued. Dry ingredients and the Wheat Starter mixed into water -

Dough ball prior to first proof -

Shaped into three 250g balls, the other is about 170g. These sat out overnight Sunday until Monday morning -

I've come to the conclusion that if you want Sourdough Anything you've really got to plan days in advance. The dough, early Monday morning after overnight proofing on the counter -

Then it goes into the fridge for 24 hours.

This morning (Tuesday) after 24 hours in the fridge -

Are we ready to make pizza yet? Nope, the dough balls need to sit out on the counter for another 4 to 6 hours. Sigh.

Finally! We're ready to make pizza for dinner. I've set up the Golden's in a configuration I've never tried before. Two racks of grates which gets the CI pizza pan as high in the dome as it'll go. My reasoning is to avoid cooking the bottom too quickly. Hopefully this will work out as I expect -

The dough balls after their final, final, final proofing -

The Mrs is in charge of forming and making the pies. I'm just the pizza runner out to the grill. :rolleyes: She said this dough was really nice to work with -

Pie #1, just a simple Pepperoni. Checking the bottom to make sure it's not burning and ruining all my days of work. Looking good -

CI Pizza Pan temp is around 450F, pies are taking about 8 minutes. We keep 'em warm in the oven, which is killing me as I want to tear into one. But I also want to get some pretty pictures. :becky:

Pies 2, 3 and 4. At first we were only going to make 2 pies and freeze the remaining dough but decided what the heck, make 'em all. I would have considered more toppings, but a few variations of what we had on hand worked out well -

All four ready to be sliced into -

Finally, we get to eat pizza! -

And the bottom is looking good, so my two tiers of grates worked out well -

These were quite good. A very New York style pizza with thin crust and a nice chew to it. And of course, we have a ton of leftover pizza for the coming days' lunches.

Thanks for following along on yet another Sourdough journey!

Regards,
-lunchman

Good looking pies Dom! I like all the sourdough work you been doing lately

Thanks all. I was happy that my setup on the Golden's worked out as I hoped. I'd seen this in one of their videos for a roast and thought it was a good idea for pizza. BTW, I did have the searing plate in place so this was all indirect. Past experiments with only one level of grates usually ended in disappointing slightly burnt bottoms.

I only wish we had taken out more toppings for a variety of pizzas, but Mrs lunchman did a great job with her variations. Next time I hope this is for a family gathering and folks can choose their own combos.

Since this dough recipe came from the Gozney website, I was more than half heartedly looking at the Roccbox variants. Not in my future. Famous last words. Now that I have a good working setup and we don't make pizza all that often...

Would I use this sourdough recipe again? Yes. The pizza did taste a little different but in a good way. I didn't have bread dough as called for in the recipe so I used a mix of AP flour and the 00 flour that's in the recipe. It's certainly not as convenient as a regular pizza dough which I can make the same day but since I'm on the sourdough bandwagon I might as well make good use of it. Good thing I have time to spare these days.

-Dom

Back