How much fuel do you use

BuRied

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
So, this is my first post here, i've been smoking for about 2 years now. I started off on a weber kettle and I just bought a WSM 22".

I was wondering how much charcoal and wood you guys usually go through in a smoke session. I realized i made a mistake today; i am doing a pork shoulder and 2x chickens. I got my fire stoked and ready around 11 and had the shoulder on at noon. In my head i figured i'd cook the pork slow and low for a few hours before adding the chicken -- when i was setting up my fire it was way hotter than I wanted so I put maybe 8 quarts of water in the water pan. Now coming time to add the chicken (about 2 hours ago) and as i've learned its pretty hard to keep the temp above 275. throughout the whole day i've used about a whole bag of kbb and quite a bit of wood.

I was wondering how much fuel everyone else usually goes through and if filling the water pan was a big mistake in regards to fuel consumption. When its all done I will take some pic's and post my final product!

I used a homemade dry rub, kinda just winged it. I used to work as a chef so i'd like to think i got a good taste for whats good... although I put a little to much salt in the rub and ended up nearly depleting my spice stash to level it out. good news with that is i got enough rub for at least 2 more q's...

Look forward to hearing what y'all have to say about water pan usage and fuel consumption.

Never kept track but I use a lot of fuel. A lot. Then again I smoke and grill year round. At least 3 to 4 times a week.

Water definitely contributes to more fuel usage and I never saw the benefit so I quit using water altogether. Again not that I'm trying to save money or fuel but for me water doesn't contribute to a better finished product but the opposite. Q comes out more steamed than anything and regardless of the cooker.

I go through about 250 pounds of lump for KCBS competitions (12-14 comps) and another 200-250 pounds of briquettes for steak cook offs (20-25 cook offs). That is about 80% of my cooking, so add about 50 pounds of each for personal use.

I was wondering how much charcoal and wood you guys usually go through in a smoke session.
I was wondering how much fuel everyone else usually goes through and if filling the water pan was a big mistake in regards to fuel consumption.
Look forward to hearing what y'all have to say about water pan usage and fuel consumption.
I normally don't fill the water pan and can get a good 12 hours out of a whole bag of charcoal in 1 session and only use maybe 4 fist sized chunks of wood in my 22" WSM.

My experience when I had my 22" matches KB BBQ. Charcoal sales come on Memorial Day, July 4th, and labor day. I don't cook as much as some others and on Labor Day I would make sure I had 250 lb. to get through till memorial Day. I started using water but haven't in the last 10 years. I do Butts at about 250 and chicken above 300. You'll figure out the 22 very quickly.

The amount of fuel is going to vary by the weather conditions and how hot you're cooking. I have found wind to be a mortal enemy, more so than just cold. During my last cook on the WSM I used just under a full bag and it lasted a good 9 to 10 hours at 250 degrees. The ambient temp was in the 40's. I use wood only during the initially stages to add some flavor. I agree that the water pan doesn't add anything but opinions will vary.

I am waiting for someone to say that one lump of coal will last for the time to cook a 12 hour brisket.

Back