MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
energyzer
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Turkey brine

If the turkey has 8% solution injected, should I still brine? If I can't get my hands on Yard Bird, what is another recommended rub?
energyzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
jjdealer
Knows what a fatty is.

I do not brine enhanced turkeys, if you do it just do not do it too long. I hear it comes out salty.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I re-brine pre-brined turkeys (Honeysuckle / Butterball) all the time. Never been too salty, and I serve to salt sensitive folks. I don't apply too much salt to cook though. Never re-brined an injected turkey.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've brined enhanced birds before to, without too much trouble, but never an invected bird. I always assumed the "enhanced" part meant packed in.

I use KC's Rub (#105) out of the Brethren recipe book for just about everything. I've never rubbed a turkey though. Usually just rub 'em with EVOO or butter and some fresh herbs and stuff with fruit/onion. I don't know why it wouldn't work on turks though, it's great on chicken.

My $.02

Old 09-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

I get this question a lot, having written Brining 101.

I think a lot of people guess that it would be bad to do, but haven't tested it.

For me, I don't like to pay someone else to brine, so I try to find them non enhanced. However, I've tested with up to 12% and found no real effect.

Too salty? Can't see this happening. Science is on your side. Osmosis means that the bird will try to achieve equilibrium with the brine solution. If it's already "salty" then it won't take on any of the brine solution. In some cases if the brine outside has less salt, then it will tend to draw out salt from the bird.

the challenge in this is what did they inject with and what's the salt % of that solution.

Turkeys are cheap enough and I say give it a try. Use a normal brine solution, and I like to go 36 to 48 hours. We never get a complaint of salty birds around here.

More details in Brining 101 if that will help, but you're question is being addressed in Brining 202 (hope to get this out this year before TDay).

Russ
Brining 101
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->