MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
gotbags-10
Got Wood.

Default Brisket Q's

So I normally cook my briskets separated because they don't fit in my smoker. They have been turning out just ok in my opinion. I'm starting to wonder if its because I'm cooking them separate. Has anyone done both ways and noticed a difference? I have a big weber grill and an amnps pellet burner that I use in my grill sometimes. I would like to try it whole on there if you guys think its worth it. Also I normally just do burnt ends with points but since I want to try cooking whole I would like to also do sliced point. My question is when cooking whole is the point done when the flat is or should I separate when the flat gets done and put the point back on to finish?
gotbags-10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
djoseph74
On the road to being a farker

I've done just the flat or just the point, and both turned out fine. How do you prepare them? What internal temp are you cooking them too? Also, are they coming out dry? Do you inject or spritz them? Water pan?

Sorry for so many q's, just want to get a feel for what you can improve on.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
gotbags-10
Got Wood.

It's not that they're bad I'm just wondering if cooking whole would be better?
gotbags-10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
djoseph74
On the road to being a farker

Ah, gotcha. In my opinion, no. I saw no difference personally.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

Yes, if you cook it whole it will turn out a much better product. If you separate the point from flat all your fat will be exposed and not render properly and turn out a dryer product.
Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

If the brisket is to big for your pit there are several ways to make it fit without separating the two muscles.
1. Fold it in 1/2
2. Place a empty 28 oz tomato can on the grate and drape the brisket over it.

When cooking a whole packer it is done when the Flat probes like butter, disregard the point. If the flat is right the point will be too. Once you have experienced the nirvana of sliced Point you will never waste it on burnt ends again. I equate the Point to poor mans Rib eye. You wouldn't hack up Prime Rib for burnt ends would you??

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #7
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I second the folding in half idea. It's an easy solution.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote