If you had $4000 to spend on a smoker, which one?

cpw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've got a friend who's looking to buy a used Lang 84 deluxe for $4k. This one is located about 20 miles from where we are, so delivery fee is not an issue, but would need to be factored in otherwise. Before he spends the money, I'm interested in alternatives in the same size/price range (new or used). Preferably trailer mounted.

Thanks!
Chad

Do a comparison on the lang vs. meadow creek. You can google it, may give you an idea...

While I really enjoy my stickburner, many people find them to be too much of a hassle. Lang, from what I understand, is a high quality stickburner. Some folks prefer the ease of use of cabinet style smokers like Spicewine, Backwoods or Pitmaker.

How used is it? Looks like a new one goes for $4495.

http://langbbqsmokers.com/lang84/lang84_deluxe.html

^^^ Yeah, $500+- difference for used vs. new; I'm thinking ride over and get the new one...

Closest thing to a Lang is manufactured in central Georgia, a few miles up the road from 'ya, by Bubba Grillls (www.bubbagrills.net). Very similar in design and a few dollars less than Lang's, everything being equal.

Otherwise, look at above mentioned, plus Stump's.

While I really enjoy my stickburner, many people find them to be too much of a hassle. Lang, from what I understand, is a high quality stickburner. Some folks prefer the ease of use of cabinet style smokers like Spicewine, Backwoods or Pitmaker.

How used is it? Looks like a new one goes for $4495.

http://langbbqsmokers.com/lang84/lang84_deluxe.html

Not sure how old it is. It's the newer squared off style. The firebox is fully covered with rust.

I've read that about the Lang's needing constant attention as well, which I'm not sure we'd be into. We've only ever cooked on UDS's and WSM's. I'm more partial to a cabinet smoker myself, but I'd need to compare size and all that before making a decision.

Size/capacity to dollar, it's going to be tough to beat an offset. However, if you dont need that capacity, then you dont need it... Stumps is manufactured 'round here as well....

Size/capacity to dollar, it's going to be tough to beat an offset. However, if you dont need that capacity, then you dont need it... Stumps is manufactured 'round here as well....

I don't think he needs the capacity, it's more that he wants it...bigger is better and all that. I've seen bubba grills, but he doesn't list any prices on his site. There's also a guy in Waycross, GA that builds reverse flow smokers for much cheaper than the Lang's, but again, haven't seen them in person so I can't compare how the compare in quality.

I dont know of whom you're referring to in Waycross. Call Lonnie (of Bubba Grills); he'll get you the price. He may've stopped listing prices with the price of steel varying all over the place... Bubba's (Lonnie) are very good quality; worth at least taking a peek. Frankly, if he doesn't need all the size of a Lang 84, have him look at a MUCH less expensive 250R starts around $2600 I think. Almost any competition in the state you'll see both Lang's and Bubba's (and Stumps)...

Stumps is a cabinet type of smoker with set-it-and-forget-it options... However, you wouldn't want to leave these outside (like I do my Lang).

Ah yes, I remember seeing them from this guy. For me, personally, I wouldnt want to get that quality (or lack of) smoker, at any price. Just my personal opinion. Langs, Bubba's, etc. are built to competition quality (FYI: Lonnie won Memphis In May [Ribs] this year on his equipment); built to last. Strong trailers, good strong wheels, etc.
It's like comparing a new Ford/Chevy 4WD truck to a Yugo modified to have 4WD...

For that matter, I picked up my used Lang 1160 (which is an early model 84) for $1600 a few years back. I wouldnt swap with a new one from this guy for love nor money.

In that price range I'd get a stumps stretch and pocket the extra cash. I'm lazy and don't like baby sitting the fire all night.

In that price range I'd get a stumps stretch and pocket the extra cash. I'm lazy and don't like baby sitting the fire all night.

I'm with you on that one. But I'd buy the stretch and get a trailer to go with it.

And Lakedogs, thanks for the head's up on the Waycross guy. Like I said, I've never seen them in person, just the craigslist postings.

Never mind....he just told me he got the Lang for $3900. Going to get it tonight. I'll be sure to post some pron of our first cooks on it!

I just bought a Backwoods but if I had an extra grand I would have gone with the Pitmaker Safe.

For that money, a good sized cabinet smoker mounted on a trailer.

Would be the Gator Rebel cabinet smoker.List with no extras, $3999.00 last I checked.

Never mind....he just told me he got the Lang for $3900. Going to get it tonight. I'll be sure to post some pron of our first cooks on it!

I still think thats way overpriced for a used Lang. Im none too impressed with Lang especially the craftsmanship. That and no option round and or insulated firebox is what made me strike them off my list. Hope he enjoys it though!

Back