MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
prodano
On the road to being a farker

Default Weber Jumbo Joe

Does anybody else have a Weber Jumbo Joe? All I have to say is wow, very impressive! I have a few other grills including a 22.5" Weber kettle, Weber smokey joe, 18.5" WSM, and a gasser, but decided the Jumbo Joe may be a nice addition and versatile. It is the perfect option when you don't have a lot of people to cook for but would like to have the option to grill indirect. It is also nice that it is portable. Only used it one time so far, but am very pleased!

Old 02-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

How is the airflow with the lid on? It's a problem in the smokey joe line. Did they solve this with the jumbo?
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
prodano

Not sure yet. I have had that problem with the smokey joe as well. I'm putting my faith in Webers R&D that they fixed the air flow problem. My cook today was indirect with one charcoal basket full, wings and country style ribs turned out good with no problems so far.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I got one and have only cooked on it a couple tims. Worked great, but I haven't tried any long cooks or anything indirect on it yet - I'll be interested in seeing how that goes.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
mbshop
Babbling Farker

welllll, as you guys know, they did put the vent back into the bottom of the bowl
so i assume the high heat issue would not be a problem.
so for long runs you might again have to use the can/bowl mod
so that the vents don't plug up with ash. but the oval holes might prevent that issue.
up to you to tell us as you cook further.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
DMSinTexas

I have the Jumbo and have done over a dozen different cooks on the guy. I love it.

Low and slow is no problem on this guy. I strongly suggest shelling out another 18 bucks and getting the hinged grate down at Home Depot. It makes 6 hour cooks much easier.

If you get the hinged grate you can invert the original grate and use it as a second cooking surface. I was able to grill 20 chicken thighs with indirect heat that way.
DMSinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

can/bowl mod ? what is that ?
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
can/bowl mod ? what is that ?
If I'm not mistaken, that's in reference to when you take a SS dog dish, and drill holes in the sides (I did 4) in order to raise the venting above where ash collects - you put the bowl upside down over the intake vent. People have had problems with ash choking up the bottom vents, so when you use the bowl to raise the level of the vent holes, this mitigates that problem. I hope I explained that in a way that makes sense!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

thanks , I will have to try that
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
mbshop
Babbling Farker

yea, bowl, which i havn't been able to find or a can of some sort that will fit over the vent but just high enough to fit under the coal grate. differant sizes for the jj and the sj of course.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
RW
Full Fledged Farker

Default Re: Weber Jumbo Joe

I love mine. Squeezed 7 rib-eyes on it for one cook and enough freshly caught fish fillets to feed six while on vacation.
Weber Performer / 18.5 WSM / mini WSM / Primo XL / #14 Old Smokey / Weber Jumbo Joe
RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Just wondering if any other Brethern has bought a JJ in the past 6 months or if any of the above owners have more to say about theirs.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
RW
Full Fledged Farker

I took ours to the coast on a winter vacation, and it was a workhorse. I used it for freshly caught fish twice, ABTs and rib-eyes. With strategic placement, I managed to cook all seven rib-eyes at one time, and all turned out -- two on early for medium and five on later for medium rarel. It's a great portable grill that's big enough for more than two people.
Weber Performer / 18.5 WSM / mini WSM / Primo XL / #14 Old Smokey / Weber Jumbo Joe
RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

I'd like to hear from any recent purchasers to see if Weber has improved the quality control on the JJ.
Churrasqueiro Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #15
GC8

What are people paying for the JJ? There's one locally (brand new) on Craigslist for $75...what do you think?
GC8 is offline   Reply With Quote