how do i knowif bacon is cured

rxcellentq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am making bacon for the first time. I used Prauge #1 and different rubs. How do I know it is fully cured and ready for smoke.

You can't tell until you smoke it and it turns pink. Just make sure you cured it long enough and flipped when needed and you should be fine.:thumb:

Cut a slice out of the middle and fry it up - if cured it will be sorta bacony (no smoke) if not cured it will be more porky in the center of the strip, usually looks a bit different than the rest too while frying, kinda grey if not cured, pink if cured

what temp do you smoke at. One recipie says 240 for 2 hr then 180 for 2 hours then 200 for 2hrs. others say 100 degrees for 8-10 what works best for everybody

I cold smoke (100*or less) for 6-8 hours or until color is where you want it.
You don't need to get the internal temp up to safe levels unless you don't plan on frying/cooking it after smoking.

Allowing it to air dry in the fridge for 24 hours before smoking is a good idea too, helps the smoke stick better. I also recommend removing the skin (if its a pork belly with the skin still on) before smoking too. Other wise that will be a whole side that gets no smoke.

When it gets out of bed and goes to work.....It's Cured!!!!!!!!!!!:becky:

Back