MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #16
Spicy-Meat
Knows what a fatty is.

Looks tasty. Care to share the recipe?
Lang 36
Spicy-Meat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #17
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

That looks wonderful. I've been making jerky for years with a dehydrator, I'm sure the smoker adds a whole extra dimension.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #18
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

Recipe is pretty much as described. The salt brine is basic salt and water and I add just a few things to add taste. Garlic poweder, onion powder. Maybe a little spice but not usually.

The flavor is mostly teyaraki sauce (yashedias or similar) and again garlic and onion. Sometimes a splash of sesame oil or ginger, and brown sugar.

I just go by taste. make it sweet but too much and sprinkle on the black pepper after hanging to get the sweet and spicy combo.

I can estimate the amounts if needed but usually go by taste. If you want hotter add some spice to the flaver brew or add pepper flakes to the hanging meat.

I usually have some without pepper for the kids na such.
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-08-2013, 02:26 AM   #19
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Jerky looks great. Going to be doing some soon myself. Never tried the brining before. Thanks for the post.

I haven't seen Henry weinhards since high school. Very cool. Didn't know they still made it.

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 02:40 AM   #20
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

My son and I have been wanting to make jerky for awhile now. Might have to borrow your techniques. Jerky looks awesome. I am very jealous of the smokehouse.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #21
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Great lookin stuff!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #22
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Cool smokehouse and great-looking jerky. Thanks for the pics.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #23
bbqmike_ny
On the road to being a farker

Looks awesome, never had home made jerky, looks better than the overpriced stuff in a bag.
bbqmike_ny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #24
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqmike_ny View Post
Looks awesome, never had home made jerky, looks better than the overpriced stuff in a bag.
Make twice what you think you'll need. I don't know how long mine lasts for storage, as it is always gone in a couple days.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #25
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

does it mater how much salt you use for the brine? i've made jerky a few times using a dry rub and mortons tender quick. but it would often come out to bitter/salty even with giving it a quick rinse. I hope to make some jerky this weekend and will give the brine method a try.
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #26
fingerlickin'

Dude, smokehouse for the win. That's outstanding. I gotta get me one of those things.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #27
Smoke Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm5577 View Post
does it mater how much salt you use for the brine? i've made jerky a few times using a dry rub and mortons tender quick. but it would often come out to bitter/salty even with giving it a quick rinse. I hope to make some jerky this weekend and will give the brine method a try.

Tenderquick will make it real salty. I just use non idiozed salt.
I tase the brine to be saltier than you would want to eat but not so bad you make an ugly face.

About 1/4 lb salt per gallon of water and the same or a little more brown sugar. 1/4 to 1/3 teaspoon garlic and onion powder. Maybe a touch of liquid smoke if your smoker is low on smoke.

Soak over night, rinse, I then string for my smoker but you may not if you are using racks.

Push the meat to the bottom of the tub and cover with brown sugar. add the teryaki sauce until covered and patt until disolved. Tase for sweetness and add brown sugar if needed. Add Garlic and nion powder and any spice you want. The last I add if using is sesame oil or ginger. Last so it does not mask the taste during the taste test.

Saok for at least a few hours but I prefer overnight. Hang and be prepared for a dripping sticky time.

Add Black Pepper or other pepper as desired (or not) and smaoke at 150 - 225 for 3 to 6 hours depending on the meaat thickness and heat.

Break open and taste test for doneness.

Hope this helps!
SD

Last edited by Smoke Dawg; 10-08-2013 at 06:26 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #28
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice job smoke dawg, jerky looks awesome!

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #29
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Dude, smokehouse for the win. That's outstanding. I gotta get me one of those things.
You really do. I love mine! Smoke Dawg is the only other one I have seen on here but I am sure there may be some more.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #30
Smoke Dawg

Cow Girl has an awesome smoke house and I have seen a few others. Check out her site!

Everyones is a little different but then thats one of the cool things about smoke houses!