Vending at Farmer's Markets

Just make sure that you are cooking/freezing/storing in line with your local health codes - LA and OC allow NO product cooked, precooked or frozen at a residential location and then sold or even given away. Rule follower mod...

In an earlier post I said I am using a compliant kitchen at the church, or the town hall basement which are both just a few doors down the street from me. I expect that will be acceptable, but I might be wrong. I do appreciate your concern and helpful comment.

In an earlier post I said I am using a compliant kitchen at the church, or the town hall basement which are both just a few doors down the street from me. I expect that will be acceptable, but I might be wrong. I do appreciate your concern and helpful comment.

Out here if you use a kitchen you have to list the location and their health permit number. If you don't have a permitted kitchen you have purchase all items to be cooked the same day. And on the off chance the health inspector does show up you have to show your receipts.

What are the hours of these farmers markets? Around here they are all typically from 7A- 1Pm

Ours is 9 AM until 1 PM on Saturday morning, but it is very well attended since we are in a tourist area. It is THE thing to do on Saturday morning. Everybody turns out to see each other and stroll around if they buy anything or not.

What are the hours of these farmers markets? Around here they are all typically from 7A- 1Pm

Here are our hours taken from the website:

SUNDAYS 10:00-2:00
Atwater Village (Wells Fargo Parking Lot)
3250 Glendale Boulevard

TUESDAYS – 8:00-1:00
Torrance 2200 Crenshaw Boulevard
(Charles H. Wilson Park)

WEDNESDAY - 2:00-7:00
Lawndale (in front of Civic Center building)
147th & Hawthorne Blvd

THURSDAY – 3:00-7:00
El Segundo
Main Street & Pine Avenue

SATURDAYS - 10:00-2:00
Watts (parking lot in front of park)
103rd & Central Ave. - Ted Watkins Park

Here are our hours taken from the website:

SUNDAYS 10:00-2:00
Atwater Village (Wells Fargo Parking Lot)
3250 Glendale Boulevard

TUESDAYS – 8:00-1:00
Torrance 2200 Crenshaw Boulevard
(Charles H. Wilson Park)

WEDNESDAY - 2:00-7:00
Lawndale (in front of Civic Center building)
147th & Hawthorne Blvd

THURSDAY – 3:00-7:00
El Segundo
Main Street & Pine Avenue

SATURDAYS - 10:00-2:00
Watts (parking lot in front of park)
103rd & Central Ave. - Ted Watkins Park

Seems like you are selling out well before time. What do you do the rest of of the time?

Seems like you are selling out well before time. What do you do the rest of of the time?

Some of the markets have rules that you can not leave before the market closes. This is understandable depending on where you're situated at the market. So you just schmooze the crowd and tell them you will bring more the next time.

Some of the markets have rules that you can not leave before the market closes. This is understandable depending on where you're situated at the market. So you just schmooze the crowd and tell them you will bring more the next time.

Our market makes you stay the entire time too.

You guys gotta get your sauces and rubs in production. Bet you could make a mint with them after the meat runs out. I was thinking about selling Brethren rubs and sauces to fill in the time. i don't know if i will even try to do a sauce or rub in the foreseeable future.

Maybe we will start selling Bigmista's Brand New Funk rub in baggies.

Great news. I just got off the phone with the state health department and it couldn't have gone better.

They say I need to get a Home Catering Permit, which allows me to prep the meat in my home kitchen, smoke it by my house and then take it hot to the farmer's market to vend.

My well water has to be tested but no mods to my kitchen are going to be needed.

He was very helpful. He said that he was much happier that I aim to cook it and keep it hot. Said that most people get in trouble cooling and re-heating to sell.

So, that was the key piece of the puzzle. I am going to submit my application to vend on Monday.

Now the work begins in ernest.

Great news. I just got off the phone with the state health department and it couldn't have gone better.

They say I need to get a Home Catering Permit, which allows me to prep the meat in my home kitchen, smoke it by my house and then take it hot to the farmer's market to vend.

My well water has to be tested but no mods to my kitchen are going to be needed.

He was very helpful. He said that he was much happier that I aim to cook it and keep it hot. Said that most people get in trouble cooling and re-heating to sell.

So, that was the key piece of the puzzle. I am going to submit my application to vend on Monday.

Now the work begins in ernest.

WTG, Jim! Time to make some xtra change!

That's why California SUCKS! I can't wait to move, one day, to a place where it's business friendly.

Jim, i would advise you to contact your county Health dept before getting your hopes up.
A home catering permit???
Have never heard of such a thing, state people sometimes have the habit of telling you what you want to hear.....check with your locals as their the ones doing the inspections.
Otherwise, congrats my brother, you are well on your way!:biggrin:

The guy I talked to is THE guy. I called the Health Dept , Ag Department and other vendors at the farmer's market. He is at State Health Department, Department of Food and Lodging. He now has me in contact with the right person to get the Home Catering Permit.

Gotta LOT of work to do before mid May when the market opens.

Back