Best Cut of Meat to Test Comp Brisket Recipe

AlanK

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi,
I haven't been scoring well on brisket, so I'm thinking of changing my competition brisket recipe. Any suggestions on a cut of meat I can use to test out different rubs, mops and sauces? Testing it on briskets is too expensive and will take too long. Once I narrow it down I will finalize it on briskets.
Thanks,
Alan

I have used chuck roast in the past. I think the better path may be to get some flats and cook them, however.

Regardless of what your score breakdown is I would venture to say that how it is cooked is the biggest factor in how you are scoring. So I am not sure anything but brisket would be a good selection.

Agree with Pharp. Typically as your tenderness scores improve, so do your taste scores.

If something is rubbery, folks tend to mark down both taste and tenderness.

If you're bent on trying new flavors, just remember, middle of the road perfectly cooked meat wins every weekend.

Personally I've used brisket rubs on steak, hamburgers, roast, london broils. But I don't consider it fully vetted until I cook a few briskets with it.

Hi,
I haven't been scoring well on brisket, so I'm thinking of changing my competition brisket recipe. Any suggestions on a cut of meat I can use to test out different rubs, mops and sauces? Testing it on briskets is too expensive and will take too long. Once I narrow it down I will finalize it on briskets.
Thanks,
Alan

Let's think about this. Brisket used to be one of the cheapest cuts of meat. And where I live it still is at about $3.50+/-20-30 cents a pound for whole packers, flats $5.50-$6.00. The only other meat besides hamburger that I see in that price range is a round roast. Chuck roasts are running at $4.50-5.00 now. Given that, I'd just buy a whole packer and cut it into smaller pieces and cook your various combinations all at one time. Have a few friends over and have them judge the combos.

Good luck,

Robert

Let's think about this. Brisket used to be one of the cheapest cuts of meat. And where I live it still is at about $3.50+/-20-30 cents a pound for whole packers, flats $5.50-$6.00. The only other meat besides hamburger that I see in that price range is a round roast. Chuck roasts are running at $4.50-5.00 now. Given that, I'd just buy a whole packer and cut it into smaller pieces and cook your various combinations all at one time. Have a few friends over and have them judge the combos.

Good luck,

Robert

Brisket is even cheaper here. I can get a choice packer under $3 bucks easy, Prime will run me just over $3 per lbs.

I always practice what I do on the cuts I'm going to use in comps. Best advice is get some friends over and have them chip in
Or if you can find some friends who need some BBQ for a wedding, birthday party, tailgate etc. that the best. I'm always using chances like that to test stuff off.

Brisket is what you need to practice on. If you want to make yourself feel better I suggest rib eye steaks. they're delicious

Back