MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:08 PM   #16
Grif054
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGEChicago View Post
Wow, not good when even the locals call it a disaster, were pretty loyal. Did anyone in IL get contacted to try it out and give feedback? I gotta imagine Weber being in Palatine and with many BBQ-Brethren in IL they would of reached out to some of us??? It's hard to imagine they designed, built and released with no consumer input? I work for a manufacturer and we go through months and months of user feedback, it's always insightful.

Thanks,
Greg
I cannot imagine who did the testing on these things. Even at 30 degrees outside I could barely read my display and dial was sluggish at best. Considering there based in Palatine I would think they would have factored in the Chicago winters. (Plus quite a few other problems as stated).

(Hope all is well Greg, I bought some Green Egg stuff from you last year.)
Grif054 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 09:38 PM   #17
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Pellet Hopper issue is Ridiculous as it was a known problem on several brands -you'd think they'd of had a Clue.......

Old 02-18-2020, 09:50 PM   #18
SmittyJonz

if anyone has One they want to get Rid of - I'll pay $.10 on the Dollar and Mod it and Play with it and Report Back.......... increase Hopper slide angle, deflect or move fan somehow, add diffuser over flavorizer bars or instead of, rework grease drain trough and if none of that Helps - break out me Sledge hammer........

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 02-19-2020 at 12:42 AM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-18-2020, 09:59 PM   #19
SmittyJonz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZRlHNRv4Bo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d23GYKYdIng

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 02-18-2020 at 10:17 PM..

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-18-2020, 10:08 PM   #20
BGEChicago
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grif054 View Post
I cannot imagine who did the testing on these things. Even at 30 degrees outside I could barely read my display and dial was sluggish at best. Considering there based in Palatine I would think they would have factored in the Chicago winters. (Plus quite a few other problems as stated).

Heck, Last year this time it was -70F (wind chill) and actual -21 F I can't imagine how they overlooked this. The others issues like unexpected fires is really concerning. I cook on a BGE, all ceramic but when I cook overnight I wheel it to the middle of the back yard, if it catches fire I loose protein no big deal. I don't own a pellet pooper but catching on fire is the last thing I would expect.. Weber has a great name and being a local company "we do right by the customer" it will be interesting to see how things play out.

Thanks,
Greg
BGEChicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2020, 12:02 AM   #21
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Pretty much says it all.

BUT! Never fear! SMITTY CAN FIX IT! Send your SmokeFire's to Smitty, who will weld 3mL plate right across the unit under the grates!

No more flare ups... but no grilling!
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2020, 12:41 AM   #22
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
Pretty much says it all.

BUT! Never fear! SMITTY CAN FIX IT! Send your SmokeFire's to Smitty, who will weld 3mL plate right across the unit under the grates!

No more flare ups... but no grilling!
Apparently you don’t comprehend diffuser plate - many styles and variations - perforated, sloted, angled , etc- or combination there of - perforated, angled with grease troughs......try Google Images - may Help get your Brain running

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 02-19-2020 at 12:58 AM..

Old 02-19-2020, 02:08 AM   #23
SmittyJonz

I haven't seen one in person but have several ideas just from the Videos. Some I could try and some I couldn't as it would require metal working machinery (plate punches, breaks, dies etc) but would be Easy for Weber to do or have done.

I'd be Happy to Share with Weber if they covered travel, expenses and paid a consulting fee.........

Old 02-19-2020, 06:54 PM   #24
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Apparently you don’t comprehend diffuser plate - many styles and variations - perforated, sloted, angled , etc- or combination there of - perforated, angled with grease troughs......try Google Images - may Help get your Brain running

See... You CAN fix it! You're even giving OPTIONS!
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2020, 07:28 PM   #25
LYU370

Quote:
I really wanted to love this grill but had 4 or 5 problems and not a good grill for anyone with a wooden deck. Really wanted to be able to slow cook and grill at high heat with the pellets and I thought this looked good. Checking out the Cookshack PG1000. I know its old technology but if anyone has any comments about the Fast Eddy, let me know. Thank you.
Check out the Cookshack Forums. No where near as busy as they used to be since Smokin Okie retired as the mod. But still a lot of good info.

https://forum.cookshack.com/forum/fa...let-grill-fepg

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020, 08:26 AM   #26
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:

LCD displays don't do well in extreme cold or heat.
Direct sunlight will turn that display black in the Summer.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020, 08:52 AM   #27
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Want something as easy to use as a pellet pooper, but still grill at high heat? Break the chain and look at the Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed. It has teething problems with wifi and bluetooth, but doesn't affect the great smoked/grilled food you'll get from it. Lots of people are getting rid of their Traegers, PK grills when they get the MB
Personally, I sold my PK360 that was 2 years old

Old 02-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #28
kevrol
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

#WeberSmokeFyre

Old 02-22-2020, 07:26 AM   #29
kynmo2010
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Thank you for the quick reply! Sorry to hear about the fire. My Weber was a nightmare. I will check out these Green Mountains now.
If youre back in the market for a pellet smoker, I would suggest you also check out the Grilla Grills products as well. My final choices came down to GMG and Grillagrills. I almost had buyer's remorse about not going with the GMG wifi, but once I received my Silverbac, I have been very happy with it. I've had it for about 18 months and it has been great for all types of cooks in all types of weather.
kynmo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:32 AM   #30
BBQ Diva
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Pretty sad how instead of addressing the issues, they start attacking some of the influencers that they flew out to showcase the model and help them pimp the product.

What a disaster.