Smoking at a Commissary

grizzly0925

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Nick
Hey all! those that do vending how do you go about having to use a commissary in your state? Do you take your smoker on site and camp out for the 16 hour cook and do they charge you for that? NJ has some weird laws and vending requires a commissary to use but I am unsure how to go about approaching a commissary as a bbq'r. I just don't want to get roped into paying for 16 hours of time when i only need 2 hours to prep food .

You would really need to work with that specific commissary and see what their rules are. If the local rules are that the food has to be prepped there (which is the same that I deal with) then your next step is to talk to the kitchen. Each one has different rules.

The place I'm at, has you rent the kitchen space by the hour. They actually have their own smoker (I mean, we are in Kansas City..) and their setup is pick a rental kitchen (they have 6) and then you can 'check out' the large items like a griddle, the smoker, a grill top. They let you rent a kitchen for an hour (or two, whatever) and then put the food in the smoker. If the kitchen can be used by someone else-then you aren't paying for the time. It's actually fairly helpful for the people renting the space.

And you also can look at alternatives. I know of people that have started spice companies, using a gas station kitchen after hours. VFW's, churches, etc.

Hey all! those that do vending how do you go about having to use a commissary in your state? Do you take your smoker on site and camp out for the 16 hour cook and do they charge you for that? NJ has some weird laws and vending requires a commissary to use but I am unsure how to go about approaching a commissary as a bbq'r. I just don't want to get roped into paying for 16 hours of time when i only need 2 hours to prep food .

We have a commissary about 20 mins from our restaurant. All the smoking/roasting is done there and taken over daily. Short of having one for yourself, look at ghost kitchens. They seem to be popping up all over lately. You just rent the time you need…they’re all inspected (legit ones, anyway) and can be very reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a commissary about 20 mins from our restaurant. All the smoking/roasting is done there and taken over daily. Short of having one for yourself, look at ghost kitchens. They seem to be popping up all over lately. You just rent the time you need…they’re all inspected (legit ones, anyway) and can be very reasonably priced.

Thanks I will look into ghost kitchens. exit 36? On 295? Mount Laurel area?

just curious why you wouldn't smoke at your restaurant?

Back