• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Frozen,partially, belly help

plakers

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well its all the Brethrens' fault but I've read and drooled over too many bacon posts so I have to give it a go. Bought a 16lb box(one large blanket) of belly, rind on, at the local cash&carry. Sat it in the fridge for two days and its still frozen, though soft enough I could break it down into managable pieces.
The pieces averaged about 2.5 lbs.

So, do I start the curing process now or do I need to wait until it is totally thawed??

Right or wrong I did manage to trim it up a bit to make less long strips. I will use these trimmings for sausage fat sometime later.

I also think I'm a gonna make a venturi style cold smoker ala youtube.

I've not done belly bacon yet just buckboard.
I'd think it would be best all thawed, since the cure needs to work it all the way thru.

I am NOT saying that you cannot cure previously frozen meat,but EVERYTHING I READ (from the people who do it for a living)about curing meat says to use FRESH,never frozen meat.Once it is frozen,the cell walls in the meat break down (when frozen and rethawed)and it does not take the cure correctly.Justsayin.May be B.S.,but worth considering.GOOD LUCK!

I am NOT saying that you cannot cure previously frozen meat,but EVERYTHING I READ (from the people who do it for a living)about curing meat says to use FRESH,never frozen meat.Once it is frozen,the cell walls in the meat break down (when frozen and rethawed)and it does not take the cure correctly.Justsayin.May be B.S.,but worth considering.GOOD LUCK!

Though I agree in the most part with you, most pork comes from the midwest, my home state of Iowa in particular, and is always frozen when it gets to Oregon. There are some local butchers but they cost more, alot more.

Let it thaw completely. I have had no problem making bacon from previously frozen bellies.

Last time I bought frozen belly I put it in a garbage bag then put the bag in ice water in an ice chest over night. It will take quite a while just leaving it in the fridge. Don't worry about it being previously frozen, you can still turn out great bacon. Good luck, you'll wanna buy store bacon again. Don't forget the pron.....

Edit: you just reminded me to thaw out some frozen belly I've got in the deep freezer :mrgreen:

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks all, especially Chris, I've been folllowing your bacon threads because you seem to be about a half step ahead of me on the bacon. I didnt get any pics before I threw cure on them but I will post some pron on the ather stages.

The belly once cut into pieces finished thawing pretty fast. It was over 16lbs whole. Cash&Carry only carries it frozen and I got the last box. Two weeks ago when I was that way they were out so nobody seems to have a problem using frozen bellies.

Id like a slightly smaller one next time, this stuff after trimming is still going to be 2 inches longer then my slicer's capacity

Thanks all, especially Chris, I've been folllowing your bacon threads because you seem to be about a half step ahead of me on the bacon. I didnt get any pics before I threw cure on them but I will post some pron on the ather stages.

The belly once cut into pieces finished thawing pretty fast. It was over 16lbs whole. Cash&Carry only carries it frozen and I got the last box. Two weeks ago when I was that way they were out so nobody seems to have a problem using frozen bellies.

Id like a slightly smaller one next time, this stuff after trimming is still going to be 2 inches longer then my slicer's capacity

you're very welcome!! i'm by no means an expert, i've just looked around on here and asked questions. I have used cowgirl and Thirdeye's recipe. both are great and since then i've been putting my own touch on it.

Back