Costco Wagyu Brisket About to Get Smoked!

Yo' sthamm,

I was completely unaware Costco had started carrying wagu. Haven't seen it around here yet, but will definitely be keeping an eye out for it now.

Very curious about your pic. It was obviously taken after you trimmed, but looking at the background, it appears you didn't have to take much fat off. Any swag as to how much was meat vs. fat?

Thanks!

From what I understand they are kinda of a Costco "Easter Egg" special and only during special occasions and specific Costco (ie, higher end locations). But a smokin deal at 4.99 lb.

I like cooking the the SRF black, and have a lot of calls using them. Enjoy. I found out too late the last time one of the Costco around here had some.

(ie, higher end locations). But a smokin deal at 4.99 lb.

Surmise you're right on. Unfortunately, I doubt we're considered high end around these parts, but if I happen to find Costco Wagu brisket @ $5/lb. locally, it's definitely goin' in the cart! Though they do carry Prime @ $3.50/lb. here - which is a good deal too - would really at least like to have a chance to try Wagu at such a reasonable price. As you say, it's definitely a "smoking" deal...

Very curious about your pic. It was obviously taken after you trimmed, but looking at the background, it appears you didn't have to take much fat off. Any swag as to how much was meat vs. fat?

Thanks!

I'd say the fat trimmed was on par or even slightly more than the Costco primes I'm used to. The biggest notable difference was the texture of the trimmed fat. Even the thick white fat from these wagyus is considerably softer and almost melts a bit in your hand when trimming.

That sounds interesting. Must have something to do with the feed? I'm making a run this morning. If I don't find them at my Costco I'm working in Wisconsin every other week and my hotel overlooks a huge Costco.

Wow that turned out fantastic!

I looked at the Costco in Sun Prairie and they didn't carry them, bummer...

Thanks guys. I'd easily put it right up there with one of the top 3 briskets I've ever cooked. To be honest, the wagyu probably gave me a nice wide margin for error.

Back