Turkey Advice

West River BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Smoked my first turkey today. It was about 13 pounds and was brined overnight with an herb, salt and sugar mixture. Offset Oklahoma Joe's cooker with mesquite. After two hours I wrapped the bird in paper and cooked until 165. Rested for 45 minutes before cutting. I was happy with how much moisture was coming out of the breast area but it still tasted dry. Also, the smoke was too intense. The herbs were overpowered by the smoke, and so I have to adjust because this isn't my oven! I sure would like some feedback. Thanks.

I personally like mesquite with poultry, but it is intense. If you think the smoke was too much, try moving to pecan, cherry, or apple. Also what temp did you cook at? I like poultry cooked hot. 400+ The quicker cooking time, keeps it from drying out, and the higher temps crisp the skin.

Smoked my first turkey today. It was about 13 pounds and was brined overnight with an herb, salt and sugar mixture. Offset Oklahoma Joe's cooker with mesquite. After two hours I wrapped the bird in paper and cooked until 165. Rested for 45 minutes before cutting. I was happy with how much moisture was coming out of the breast area but it still tasted dry. Also, the smoke was too intense. The herbs were overpowered by the smoke, and so I have to adjust because this isn't my oven! I sure would like some feedback. Thanks.

Maybe pull it 10 degrees earlier to account for carryover.

I dry brine with Naturific Harvest Brine, this was a little over almost 170 IIRC
bNzRoVkh.jpg

This was on my 18.5 Kettle had to make some modifications to fit it, but it worked.. I used cherry wood chips, I find mesquite too heavy for poultry.
3gKpRdo.jpg

Last edited:
Back