PK360 collaboration thread

How are you lighting it?
Chimney with Weber fire starter cubes and BBQ Dragon.

What fuel are you using?

Fogo lump or Weber briquettes

What is your clean out practice?
Whisk Broom into metal buckethanging off back. Shop vac every once in a while to get really clean.

What accessories have you found useful? What accessories have not been useful?

I bought the PK basket and as others have found out the holes are too small and there is not enough airflow. BBQ Dragon is great. I use it to start the chimney and then after the indirect phase of the reverse sear method I use the Dragon to stoke the fire and get super hot for the sear.

Have not done long cooks on it yet. Mostly reverse sear steaks, Tri-Tips, and chops, and indirect cooks of chicken.

Love it!

You’re the first person I’ve talked to that appreciated the pk basket. How did you set it up for the minion method?

I've never had the problems with the PK basket that other claim to have so I don't know.

For minion method, I filled the basket with unlit briquettes and then added I think about 10-15 lit briquettes in the upper right corner of the basket and adjusted my vents until the gauge read about 250.

The basket(s) are half the size of the grill width wise and 4 inches tall. I just stack it with enough to get job done. I use one for indirect cooking. Never timed it since I can add. I run temps anywhere from 250 to 325. Higher temps if I use lump. I use two baskets for whole grill space for direct cooking. They hold a lot more than PK holders. For shorter cooks full space direct cooking I use a 1/2 sheet perforated aluminum cookie pan with briquettes only (no lump due to high heat can melt pan). Add wood chunks as needed to all cooks. Makes clean up easier. I could use minion method I suspect but never have on PK. I try to keep it simple. Hope this helps.

I have found that I can do about 3 hours without any basket at around 275-300. The PK seems to like to run about 225 or 300 so for most of my long cooks, I let it go at 300. I light it without any chimney. I just put a starter cube into the grill and let it burn off. by the time it's done, the grill is ready to cook for indirect. If direct, a few more minutes are needed. I don't like to mess with a chimney bc some of the embers inevitably get onto my side tables. burned it day one!
considering the after market charcoal tray available on Facebook, bc i'm thinking it may be possible to get a burn time closer to 5-6 hours, which would almost always be an entire cook for me on the PK.
i also like to scatter coals across the entire charcoal grate and then use the cookmore grid. great for spatchcock chicken.

Running the digiq with my 360 today. Filled the area below the hinged grate with B and B briquettes. Been runnng between 4.5-5 hours at 235, and it’s only ignited (not consumed yet) half the coals. I have a feeling it may still be running 235 when I wake up at 5am. That would be 13 hours which is Crazy. These cookers are amazing.

No. Don't know them. Just see their work on social media. They do custom grates. I'm 250 mi from Wichita Falls

What do you use for drip pan in PK360? I've used tin foil but it seems to alter airflow on my low 'n slow cook. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What do you use for drip pan in PK360? I've used tin foil but it seems to alter airflow on my low 'n slow cook. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I use a half hotel pan. I haven’t had an airflow issue. I only put it under the meat, and there’s a little overhang but I just put up with that.

So i just checked the grill—it has been running 235 since yesterday at 3:45pm and it’s now 5:30am and it’s at 229. 13 hrs and 45 minutes. One load of charcoal. ������������

Nice! Do you know this guy? Looks like pretty good quality.

Someone on the FB PK group just posted about this charcoal basket. Mine are made from Smokin Hot BBQ which is similar in design.

Anyone adapted a temp controlled fan, like a BBQ Guru? I inquired with them, got the following reply

“You will need to drill a 3/4:” hole in the side of the cooker 1” below the level of the fire/charcoal grate. You need the universal adaptor and a 10 cfm Pit Viper fan.“

Not so sure I want to drill a big hole in the side. I thought there may be a way to adapt a fan to the incoming vent.

Anyone adapted a temp controlled fan, like a BBQ Guru? I inquired with them, got the following reply

“You will need to drill a 3/4:” hole in the side of the cooker 1” below the level of the fire/charcoal grate. You need the universal adaptor and a 10 cfm Pit Viper fan.“

Not so sure I want to drill a big hole in the side. I thought there may be a way to adapt a fan to the incoming vent.

I saw a post, probably on FB, that someone did this using the intake tubes on the PK360. They added the fan to one of the tubes, blocked the back end of the tube, and left the other tube closed off.

I'll see if I can find it.

PK360 feedback

How are you lighting it?

I use Weber Chimneys

What fuel are you using?

Lump and/or all natural briquettes (B&B). Add some smoking blocks from time to time, but judiciously.

What is your clean out practice?

Paint brush to sweep ash out the bottom. Wire brush to clean factory grates. Wooden scraper to peel grease and crud from all surfaces when needed. I use a pressure washer on the grill grates as needed.

What accessories have you found useful? What accessories have not been useful?

I use a wire mesh charcoal basket on half the grill. I machined larger holes in the PK charcoal basket to get it to work but rarely use it. I machined adapters to fit a FireBoard controller and blower on the grill but rarely use it. The grill is used primarily for grilling steaks, chops and the like. I have other grills that are better suited for low and slow cooks (real estate, fuel efficiency and heat retention). I built a rack to fix the grill grates to keep them from sliding around.

Video of grill grate holder:
https://youtu.be/IlTFiZtPRuY

Photos:

Attachments

• Pork belly on the Pk Jan 20.jpg
    Pork belly on the Pk Jan 20.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20191105_193819.jpg
    IMG_20191105_193819.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20190323_112226.jpg
    IMG_20190323_112226.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 141
  • EFFECTS.jpg
    EFFECTS.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 138

I use a fan. I'll try to get a photo--no iPhone so it's tricky lol

We all know that the PK360 is a fine grill. I modified the left air intake to accept a Pit Viper fan and control the cooker temp with a Fireboard II drive, which makes the PK360 a fine smoker for long indirect cooks. That left a need for a rotisserie rig and and the ability to manage skewers/kabobs on the grill.

With a bit of forethought, I came up with a plan to make the PK even more versatile. I designed an aluminum rack for the PK to mount a rotisserie rig and accommodate kabob skewers. My woodworking tools work well to machine nonferrous metals such as aluminum. I intended the rack to provide a solid mount for the rotisserie without modifying the PK body. My design sits securely on the bosses that normally hold the grill grates in place without altering the PK casting. I machined the aluminum parts and ordered a One Grill mounting kit for the rotisserie.

After drilling, tapping, and assembling the parts, I used the rotisserie spit and motor from my Weber 26 for the first test drive. I will dig out a shorter spit rod for the next trial. I believe a rotisserie basket will work well and there are many options to explore with the fire layout. The kabob skewers offer a whole new world of possibilities to research.

The PK 360 can be as versatile as any Weber kettle.

Attachments

• Rotie rig.jpg
    Rotie rig.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 104
  • skewers.jpg
    skewers.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 101
  • In place.jpg
    In place.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 100
  • chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 100
  • cooking.jpg
    cooking.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 99
Are y’all running the new model or the original ? I’m trying to decide if the extra money is worth it for the 360

I'm running the original, bought before the 360 was available. Not sure what I would have bought had I had the choice, but I love my original. Bulletproof.

As far as cleaning I just scoop out most of the ashes from time to time. About once a year I'll take it apart and power wash it out. That has not happened this year, oddly enough. It's not like I didn't have time.

Light it with a chimney and either Weber cubes or OK Joe lighter bundles. doesn't make much difference.

Temp control is not a huge problem, but it is nowhere near as responsive as the Open Range.

We all know that the PK360 is a fine grill. I modified the left air intake to accept a Pit Viper fan and control the cooker temp with a Fireboard II drive, which makes the PK360 a fine smoker for long indirect cooks. That left a need for a rotisserie rig and and the ability to manage skewers/kabobs on the grill.

With a bit of forethought, I came up with a plan to make the PK even more versatile. I designed an aluminum rack for the PK to mount a rotisserie rig and accommodate kabob skewers. My woodworking tools work well to machine nonferrous metals such as aluminum. I intended the rack to provide a solid mount for the rotisserie without modifying the PK body. My design sits securely on the bosses that normally hold the grill grates in place without altering the PK casting. I machined the aluminum parts and ordered a One Grill mounting kit for the rotisserie.

After drilling, tapping, and assembling the parts, I used the rotisserie spit and motor from my Weber 26 for the first test drive. I will dig out a shorter spit rod for the next trial. I believe a rotisserie basket will work well and there are many options to explore with the fire layout. The kabob skewers offer a whole new world of possibilities to research.

The PK 360 can be as versatile as any Weber kettle.

Wowsa!! That is very slick and awesome work. That would be a great 360 accessory that I wish was offered.

BBQ Guru on a PK 360

I saw a post, probably on FB, that someone did this using the intake tubes on the PK360. They added the fan to one of the tubes, blocked the back end of the tube, and left the other tube closed off.

I'll see if I can find it.

I simply used a utility knife to trim the inside of the intake tube then used one of my BBQ Guru's (from my drum), blocked the back of the tube and closed the other tube. It worked well, but I have drums for long cooks so I did not stick with it.

I primarily use the PK for chicken when I'm in competition.. The PK is really responsive to small adjustments to the intake tubes, so I just use the tubes.

Back