MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
Drummer
Found some matches.

Default Smoked Christmas Turkey on New Smoker

Howdy youall, Firat I want to say that I am a new menmber and wanna say thanks for the Happy Birthday email last week.
Well my wife and I got us a new smoker for Christmas.
We got a Masterbuilt Dual-Fuel vertical smoker. You can use propane with chips, or charcoal with chips and I reckon you can use wood chunks as well. I normally have used charcoal and wood chunks together in the past.
I had Brinkman smokers in the past, both the kind with the removable bottom in case you want to use it as a grill only. The legs rusted off both of them.
I reckon I should have learned my lesson on the first one, but when I bought the 2nd one, I put a good coat of hi-temp Rustoleum paint all around the bottom, inside and out. Still rusted off.
Well I decided on this here new Masterbuilt. Seasoned it twice on Christmas eve and smoked a 13lb turkey on Christmas day.
After 9 hours at 225, and a turkey at 165, I found out I had the front of the turkey touching the back of the smoker.
I pulled it off and brought it up to temp in the oven inside. It was dark and 14 degrees here in Kentucky.
Turkey was great and I shredded the leftovers, doctored up some BBQ sauce and mixed it all up for sandwiches later.

I have been lookin at the forum and learnin what I can and finally joined up with yall.
Imathankinya,
Drummer
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Welcome to the forum Drummer! Belated Happy Birthday to ya too!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
IamMadMan

I am your Christmas turkey turned out well for you.

Congratulations on on first cook in the new smoker.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Welcome to the forum!
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 12:07 AM   #5
Coach Jones
Knows what a fatty is.

Happy birthday merry Christmas and happy new year

I like to brine my turkey first. I really don't have a strict recipe for the brine but the last few times I have always used
Salt- of coarse
Soy sauce
Apple juice
Cloves
Oranges-sliced in half and squeezed
Apple cider vinegar
Brown sugar
And top it off with water until the bird will float stir till the salt and sugar are dissolved
I usually let it sit for at least 12 hours
When I remove the bird I take a softened stick of butter and rub it under the skin of the bird.
Sometimes I will even wrap it in cheese cloth that has been soaked in melted butter.
Then I place it in the smoker at about 275 to 300
I've smoked 3 birds this season all 20 lbs. + and they have all been up to temp, meaning 165-170 in just under 5 hours.
I do tent the birds and let them sit for 2 hours before carving them up though.
Happy smokin to ya.
Coach Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
Sweet Daddy-D
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Jones View Post
Happy birthday merry Christmas and happy new year

I like to brine my turkey first. I really don't have a strict recipe for the brine but the last few times I have always used
Salt- of coarse
Soy sauce
Apple juice
Cloves
Oranges-sliced in half and squeezed
Apple cider vinegar
Brown sugar
And top it off with water until the bird will float stir till the salt and sugar are dissolved
I usually let it sit for at least 12 hours
When I remove the bird I take a softened stick of butter and rub it under the skin of the bird.
Sometimes I will even wrap it in cheese cloth that has been soaked in melted butter.
Then I place it in the smoker at about 275 to 300
I've smoked 3 birds this season all 20 lbs. + and they have all been up to temp, meaning 165-170 in just under 5 hours.
I do tent the birds and let them sit for 2 hours before carving them up though.
Happy smokin to ya.

That sounds pretty good. Do you leave it in the cheese cloth while smoking; what changes would you make for just a turkey breast?

Old 01-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Belated Happy B Day Congrats and enjoy
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags