Meadow Creek PR60T

armor

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Looking for anyone who has owned or used a PR60 and your thoughts on quality and how it performed.

I use 2 pr42 for competitions, they are a size down but should cook the same. what do you want to know?

on my pr42's with 1 bag of RO chefs choice I can easly go 18-24 hours cooking at 225.At the 12-14 hour point I have a ton of fuel left.I use the minion method (sort of).

work on learning the vents and you can easily control the fire.

wrap the "convection" plate in foil for easy clean up.

thanks. Actually the 42 is all I need now that I look at them. Do you have the optional smoke stack? Looking for something to cook whole hogs on. Also have been looking at Cowgirls cinder block setup.

nope, I did get the 2nd tier racks for both though.

keep in mind the pr60s are probably a better bet when cooking a hog. The pr42s are going to be for a smaller hog, upto 100lbs.

I have never used my 42 to cook a hog...YET!!!

I don't have a PR unit from MeadowCreek, but I do have a TS250.
Quality is excellent, great customer service from the folks at MeadowCreek if you have questions, accessories, or add-on ideas too.

I have a 60 and 72T with the extra shelf and pull out ash tray you can't beet them for cookin hogs.
SDC10074.jpg

Picture173.jpg

SDC10086.jpg

Are you cooking with gas or charcoal?

Gas thats a four letter word well three:biggrin:. Lump all the way you cannot use briquettes they will ash out the fire.Plus I run a guru with twin 25 cfms light it and come back 12hrs later.

I have a 60 and 72T with the extra shelf and pull out ash tray you can't beet them for cookin hogs.
SDC10074.jpg

Picture173.jpg

SDC10086.jpg

those are some killer looking hogs!!! Your right when you say how great the cookers are..

now Im hungry!!!thanks!:lol:

Sexy Pigs!!!

As many requests as the wife and I get for whole pig roasts, we've been struggling all winter with the idea of selling the TS250 and picking up a PR72 instead.

I used the TS250 as a pig roaster over a dozen times last summer and I really think the PR series would have been much much less work and effort.

roast003.jpg

I see the Stepvan hiding behind that pig!!! Do you load the PR rigs right into the back end of that Stepvan?

As I've toyed with the idea of a PR model, I keep wondering how much effort it would be to haul in the back of my Stepvan instead of buying the trailered model.

07kitch001

If you can swing keeping the TS do so the PR60 will still do up to 250 plus lber no problem and is a good chunk less than the 72. You don't need the pull out ash tray but it is nice.I think mine was $1100 with the charcoal tray for doing burgs and dogs.

I see the Stepvan hiding behind that pig!!! Do you load the PR rigs right into the back end of that Stepvan?

As I've toyed with the idea of a PR model, I keep wondering how much effort it would be to haul in the back of my Stepvan instead of buying the trailered model.

07kitch001

The 60 I load on a pickup I have or I have a small 5by8 trailer I put it on. it won't fit in the van not wide enough with all the equipment.

In any case, didn't mean to hi-jack with pig pron and truck questions.

I'll throw in a couple more 2cents...

If you're sure you'll be roasting whole pigs on any regularity:
Decide what sized roaster you want to buy...
then buy the next size up.

I am limited to about a 140# whole pig right now, I can suppliment larger cooks with whole legs or shoulders, but I wish I had space for a larger whole hog. I cook with a starter fire of charcoal briquettes and continue on with sticks, usually hickory. When I run into "OMG, the wedding got delayed!" I do use the propane assist for holding the whole pig at a safe temp.

I've been researching the MeadowCreek PR models for a long time, been wanting to aquire one for over a year. If money were not an issue I'd buy a PR72GT - the trailered PR72 propane (I know "gas"). I'd get the propane model with a charcoal/wood pan insert. Cook with lump/briquettes and wood - and when an emergency comes around - switch it up to propane to keep everything safe.

Even the price on a loaded PR72GT isn't a bad deal considering the quality, ease of use, and mutli-use capabilities.

Totally agree with the gas for holding or even starting it up. I still would use straight lump the briquettes will ash it out.

Totally agree with the gas for holding or even starting it up. I still would use straight lump the briquettes will ash it out.

I can totally see briquette cloggin up with those flat metal burn trough areas. I wonder about space inside the PR to modify the burn areas with expanded (cut out the metal and tack in expanded) and add ash trays below.

We got any Meadow Creek reps in the Brethren want to chime in (or pirate the expanded idea)?

I was going to fab something myself but i got such good burn times with the lump I said fark it.

I love the pr60...We are using it in Havasu right now and its just great

Don't worry about hijacking the thread. These responses are great. Please keep the info coming as this is exactly what I wanted! :-D

Back