Stuffing for Smoked Turkey?

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas for some stuffing that is better suited for smoked turkey? I'll be smoking 2 turkeys for work and another for The Family get-together.

boy - I'd be concerned about the potential for bacteria to have a field day in that stuffing when the turkey is at or below 165F for an exceptionally long period of time.

boy - I'd be concerned about the potential for bacteria to have a field day in that stuffing when the turkey is at or below 165F for an exceptionally long period of time.

Yep. The time between 40* F and 140* F should be less than 4 hours to be safe. I do my stuffing in a separate pan.

Ok LOL. I wouldn't put the "stuffing" in the bird. Maybe I should say dressing. Even a rice dish would great. I just don't see traditional stuffing or dressing being a good match with smoked turkey.

My sister made has a stuffing recipe (baked in a pan) that includes sausage, and she uses just plain breakfast sausage. I had it at her house a few months ago and it was pretty good, but it is just screaming for a "fatty" instead of plain sausage.
I'll try to dig it up tomorrow and post it. Would be a great partner with smoked turkey in my opinion.

Ok LOL. I wouldn't put the "stuffing" in the bird. Maybe I should say dressing. Even a rice dish would great. I just don't see traditional stuffing or dressing being a good match with smoked turkey.[

Do you think smoked dressing would be too much smoke flavor?

i make an andouille & crawfish stuffing.
1 bag breadcrumbs
1/2 stalk of celery finely chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 white onion
1/2 lb cooked shelled crawfish finely chopped
1/2 lb andouille chopped or fatty style-smoked first(a fatty works too).
1 can or box chix stock
1/2 cups mushrooms finely chopped

sautee the veggies & crawfish in butter & white wine.
add in chix stock,andouille,& bring to a boil
add stuffing-cover for 5 minutes
fluff & serve.

do not put in a bird being smoked.

I will be making this in the oven. Not smoking it with the bird. I was just looking for a stuffing/dressing recipe that is better suited to smoked turkey rather than use a traditional style dressing. I found a rice and sausage recipe on one of the cooking websites. Pretty simple stuff BTW.

If you want to cook stuffing in a turkey while smoking it I would suggest you have all life and heath insurances up to date. Wills should be in order also.

Back