• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Oil vs. butter for crispy skin?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Any thoughts on how using butter rubbed into the bird's skin affects crispiness factor versus traditional veg oil etc.?

Thanks

Air is a poor delivery system for heat, which is why low n slow works so well.
Fats are most excellent delivery systems for heat, so they heat up the proteins more effectively.
All fats do.
HTH

Sunflower oil is another viable option that works well with poultry.

I have used oil and butter on my birds. I prefer butter over oil as I can taste the butter a little bit on the skin. Texture wise help give the bird a nice crisp skin.

I bast my birds with bacon fat. Gives a nice color and makes the skin "bite through". I used to use butter and I never got that "bite through" skin, it always pulled off on the first bite.

I like to think of it as the difference between frying and sauteing. Frying will make things crispy and hardish, while sauteing will make things pliable and soft.

Reo

Crisp skin
1.loosen the skin over the breasts and thighs. Do this from front and back and really well. make two slits on each side of the back bone ( done to drain fat)(if you want gravy just remove the back bone to use it. The presentation side is still good.

2.Place two pats of butter under the skin on each breast and one on each thigh
sprinkle a salt baking powder mixture on the skin and place in the fridge for 24 hours uncovered.
3. cook at high temp 375-400

At a guess Buc, it's because the mayo here is not like Praise (that's Miracle Whip). It's "real" mayo made with eggs and has a fairly high fat content.

Keeps the skin moist while it's crisping up, which helps a lot with bite-through when eating. Crisp skin isn't much good if it all comes off with the first bite. Also easier to cut through.

I'm gonna do butter under the skin but some oil on the top. Looking to do better on color - was going to use EVOO but might have to give peanut oil a try.

You know where Chris drops his chix in olive oil then put back in the smoker?

Solid melted Popcorn oil (essentially Coconut Oil) mixed with some popcorn salt.....

Y'all ain't never ready for my ****.....I am out of here.

You know where Chris drops his chix in olive oil then put back in the smoker?

Solid melted Popcorn oil (essentially Coconut Oil) mixed with some popcorn salt.....

Y'all ain't never ready for my ****.....I am out of here.

I'm your Huckleberry.

Back