MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #1
jpayers
Found some matches.

Default Taking a class this fall. Pellet Envy / Swamp Boys or other?

I want to take a class this winter. I'm currently looking at Pellet Envy (5 hour drive) or Swamp Boys (14 hour drive). I currently cook on a Backwoods clone of that makes a difference.

Which of the two should I start with? Any others I should definitely be considering? I pretty much cook only KCBS.

Thanks
jpayers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
DR
Take a breath!

I have taken 4 classes. I took Rods and it's a great class. Highly recommend it. But after taking these classes, I will say that I will never take a class where they don't use the TYPE of cooker I cook with. I cook on a Jambo. Now the instructor doesn't have to cook on a Jambo, but they do need to use an offset stick burner. You are not going to a recipe class. You are going to learn everything you need and if I cook on a Jambo and the instructor is a Pellet Head, I don't feel like you are learning everything you need. If I'm not mistaken, Rub cooks on a vertical smoker as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-28-2016, 05:48 AM   #3
mschwirian
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Rub cooks on a Deep South vertical. His class is worth the drive.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:04 AM   #4
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

Rod, Rub, and Tuffy are the top 3 classes I want to take. So I would absolutely throw Tuffy into that list.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #5
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

I'd suggest using the search feature. There has been countess threads on classes.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #6
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right on Q View Post
Rod, Rub, and Tuffy are the top 3 classes I want to take. So I would absolutely throw Tuffy into that list.
Can't ever stop learning. I hope to take Rod's and Tuffy's classes in the future. Would love to have you and jpayers join us in FL sometime.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation

Last edited by Rub; 12-28-2016 at 07:17 PM..
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-30-2016, 07:44 AM   #7
J&B'sBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I have taken Rod's, but not Rub's (not because I don't want to, but it's harder to take a class when you help teach another...it's a timing thing), and Rod's class was great. We were cooking on a stick burner at the time, and I felt I could use the information.

I will agree with the above to find a class where they're cooking on the same or similar smoker OR if there are multiple teams cooking where you will get multiple methods. When we switched to our Southern Q Limo, I took the class from the manufacturer knowing I would be able to ask Moyers and The Pit Crew GA every question under the sun to understand how to translate the methods onto a Limo.
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Limo Jr. & 125 Water Cooker[/URL]
Proudly Supported By:
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Smokers & Trailers[/URL]
[URL="http://www.swampboys.com/wordpress/"]Swamp Boys BBQ Sauces and Rubs[/URL]
[URL="https://carolinacookwood.com"]Carolina Cookwood[/URL][/FONT][/SIZE]
J&B'sBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote