What is your average cooking time hours/pound for brisket & butts?

bbqneo

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have read the "guidelines" for brisket and butts are 1-1.5hr/lb for brisket and ~2hr/lb for butts. I went back through my last 1/2 dozen cook logs and found when I am cooking in a range of 220-250 my 5-6lb brisket flats are taking 2-2.2hr/lb and the 4.5-6lb butts are similar. I had one small brisket (3lb) take less than an hour/lb. Anyone else have any results that are similar or completely different?

It has been my experiance that the smaller cuts [brisket and butts] will take much longer on a per pound basis that the larger cuts. I use 1-1.5 hours per pound when doing low-and-slow with big butts-9 pounders, or whole brisket. Of course this is just for estimating cooking schedule. Doneness is determined by feel.

Mine have typically run 1-1.5 hrs/lb no matter what the size.

For me, briskets always take longer than butts for some reason. I typically cook at 225-230 and can usually estimate 1 and 1/2 hours per pound. Butts will be done about 30-60 minutes before briskets will but in the grand scheme of things this really isnt that big of a time lapse.

What?

Here I go again.
Briskets and Butts done in 5 hours, no matter how large they are!!!
Fork The Pork!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!

For me, briskets always take longer than butts for some reason. I typically cook at 225-230 and can usually estimate 1 and 1/2 hours per pound. Butts will be done about 30-60 minutes before briskets will but in the grand scheme of things this really isnt that big of a time lapse.

Here I go again.
Briskets and Butts done in 5 hours, no matter how large they are!!!
Fork The Pork!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!

I am working on getting a schedule together for my first competition, I do not foil brisket, but I do use a reynolds oven bag; I do foil the butts. I cook both to 190-200 internal temp. I just wanted to see if anyone else had briskets take this long each time?

Gents,

This is BBQ! The meat will be done when it's done. It depends on it's size and temperature it's cooked at.

Two problems: 1)Contest rules indicate meats must be turned in 5 minutes before to 5 minutes after the scheduled time; 2)rules do not allow for precooked meats. Having my family wait for the meat to be done is no problem, but I was simply trying to get some advice from others while I prepare and try to figure out how to get 4 different meats done on time for a contest.

I like big butts and briskets - never did small ones. 1-1.5 in the 200 range seems to be the guideline.

Gents,

This is BBQ! The meat will be done when it's done. It depends on it's size and temperature it's cooked at.

I think I said that.:lol:

I don't cook for contests, but I do know I could not get away with wandering out onto my patio sometime around maybe 5pm and putting a brisket in the cooker, then telling a houseful of guests that "it will be done when it is done"

Two problems: 1)Contest rules indicate meats must be turned in 5 minutes before to 5 minutes after the scheduled time; 2)rules do not allow for precooked meats. Having my family wait for the meat to be done is no problem, but I was simply trying to get some advice from others while I prepare and try to figure out how to get 4 different meats done on time for a contest.

Neither is a problem. This is how we do it. We start our cooker at 7 PM the night before turn-in. We make sure our cooker is stable and at the cooker is at the temp we want to cook at. Then we put our butts and briskets in. If the meats cooperate they are in a cooler at 7 to 8 am, resting until we need them. We need 3 hours for ribs and chicken so we start cooking them at 8:30. They are both cooked at higher temps so it works out well. We cook 12 to 14 lb packers and 8 lb boston butts. Every piece of meat cooks differently so if your meat cooks slower you may need to wrap it and put it back in the cooker to speed the cooking time.

I am working on getting a schedule together for my first competition...
I did my first comp just last month. I ran out of time because I scheduled my take off times too close to the turn in times and essentially ran out of cooking/resting time. With that in mind, for my next comp, I will start my cooking much earlier.

Guy what temp do you cook your ribs? I like your timeline and I was right there with you until you said 3 hour ribs.

Neither is a problem. This is how we do it. We start our cooker at 7 PM the night before turn-in. We make sure our cooker is stable and at the cooker is at the temp we want to cook at. Then we put our butts and briskets in. If the meats cooperate they are in a cooler at 7 to 8 am, resting until we need them. We need 3 hours for ribs and chicken so we start cooking them at 8:30. They are both cooked at higher temps so it works out well. We cook 12 to 14 lb packers and 8 lb boston butts. Every piece of meat cooks differently so if your meat cooks slower you may need to wrap it and put it back in the cooker to speed the cooking time.

I did my first comp just last month. I ran out of time because I scheduled my take off times too close to the turn in times and essentially ran out of cooking/resting time. With that in mind, for my next comp, I will start my cooking much earlier.

Guy, Thanks-that is what I needed to know. How high are you cooking ribs, and what kind??
I am worried about running out of time also, I have been guesstimating 1.5h/lb for briskets, and lately I have been running out of time. I guess I just need to make sure I bring my 5 day cooler. Thanks again for the advice.

Back