First Brisket (w/ PRON!)

kujay

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Got up and got to Price Chopper at 6:30 yesterday morning with the intention of picking up some spares. Next to the spares in the fridge case were what I think were untrimmed flats. Never done one before, but decided it was the day. So I got a six-pounder.

Fired up the old Weber kettle with the IQ 110 to 300. Set up charcoal Minion with chunks of hickory and pecan mixed in. Rubbed with kosher salt, coarse black pepper, garlic powder and a few dashes of cayenne. Injected with a mixture of roughly 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and worcestershire and 1 teaspoon of beef base. Nuked it about 45 secconds to dissolve the base.

At three hours I was at 170 IT. Foiled for another hour and it was at 202.

Tenderness was amazing, very juicy. I had two issues. First, used way too much pepper in the rub. I know our revered brisket tutorial here suggests the pepper mellows out over the cook. That may be over 12 hours, but it didn't happen on this four-hour HNF cook. Also, the bark didn't really "set." It was there, hence the overpowering pepper flavor, but it didn't get a crust on it.

Anyway, for my first effort, I was over the moon. And now for my first attempt at posting photos:

7FE67BF4-B774-4454-B0C4-69A5636F672E-11434-00000944BB642705.jpg

If you want good bark loose the foil if you must wrap use Butcher Paper. The foil is preventing the bark from setting. That Brisket looks DEEEElicious to me!

Good first time! I've only done one brisket so far. I forgot to foil and it came out dry. Looks like yours is nice and tasty!

Can I has a sammy?

+1 on the butcher paper, or you can use parchment as well. It really allows the bark to set up nice and still retains moisture. Your brisket looks awesome dude, esp for your first swing at it. Good job!

When you foil, you will lose some of the crisp bark because you are steaming the meat. You can take it out when it is just about done and finish it on the smoker to firm up the bark or just decide that you won't have that crispiness and keep it in the foil to the end of the cook.

Back