MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Newenglandbbqer
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Truck mounted smoker

This is just an idea I had but what would be the challenges of replacing the bed of say a ranger or 2wd f150 or something with a smoker?
Newenglandbbqer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Mixin
Got Wood.

In Australia, it's very common to have flat-bed or aluminium trays on the back of a pickup, instead of a tub.

If you built it onto a flat bed tray, then it would be just like building it onto a sheeted-out trailer chassis.

The only challenge I see is the height of the work area. It will be at least a foot or more higher than a trailer mounted smoker.

Here's an example of an Aussie F-truck with a flat bed:

The F100/150 were a common trades vehicle in the day, and even the cops used them until the mid 80s as caged trucks to carry criminals. Unfortunately the Asian & Euro invasion has seen the Toyota hilux, Isuzu D-max/Colorado & their ilk take over that market in a massive way over the last 20-30 years. My brother-in-law used to run a long wheelbase F150 with a 12'x6' tray on it for his sign business. You can't run that size tray on the Asian vehicles.
Mixin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd be worried if things get out of hand the trucks Fuel tank may ruin your day.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
Newenglandbbqer
Knows what a fatty is.

I'd use a fuel cell in the cab

Old 04-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Have the main smoke chamber hanging down off the rear axle, so youre at waist height. Essentially making the bottom of the chamber where the ball is at now on that picture. keep everything else forward.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
Newenglandbbqer
Knows what a fatty is.

K so now I'm starting to get how I'll do this once I get to it.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
mattkins99
Knows what a fatty is.

What about a flip floor you can use as a work surface?
mattkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I always thought a 1200 gallon propane delivery truck, you know the ones that are about 5 ft in diameter and 8 ft long, with a big diesel cab would make an awsome smoker.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
Newenglandbbqer
Knows what a fatty is.

I was thinking of making it so I could make a bolt on platform to make it easier to use and flip out work tables is a pretty good idea I might be able to get that to work or I could lower the truck and put adjustable air ride on it. I would also need to nickname it something.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
Newenglandbbqer
Knows what a fatty is.

Now that is awesome not exactly what I was thinking of I don't want to need a cdl but awesome

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglandbbqer View Post
This is just an idea I had but what would be the challenges of replacing the bed of say a ranger or 2wd f150 or something with a smoker?
A lot of challenges and a lot could go wrong. Like already mentioned, the gas tank would be a major hazard if something were to go wrong. And personally, I don't think moving it into the cab is the best idea either. You'd be in quite a spot if you were out driving and a hose were to burst or the cab were to fill with gas fumes. It could go south really quick. Plus, you would need to rewire everything to the new gas tank location. You would also have to figure out a way to mount something like a 200 gallon propane tank to the rear axle and suspension requiring a ton of welding and fabrication. Then don't forget the street legal requirements like rewiring the brake, tail, and reverse lights.

Not to say it can't be done. It just won't be as easy as building one on to a trailer.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

You can also get upright smokers in between the cab and rear axle. cabinet style. Many ways this could be done, it would be an awesome project.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
Newenglandbbqer
Knows what a fatty is.

I don't want to do it because its easy but because of how cool it would be to have a bbqmobile also i am going to a technical high school to be a machinist so the fab shouldnt be that hard.and it's a project for a year or 2 down the road so the design process will be over a year so every little detail should be worked out by the time I get to build it. Lastly I might make it with a diesel truck so that gets rid of some of the exploding gas tank problems and the gas fumes problem.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglandbbqer View Post
I don't want to do it because its easy but because of how cool it would be to have a bbqmobile also i am going to a technical high school to be a machinist so the fab shouldnt be that hard.and it's a project for a year or 2 down the road so the design process will be over a year so every little detail should be worked out by the time I get to build it. Lastly I might make it with a diesel truck so that gets rid of some of the exploding gas tank problems and the gas fumes problem.
The "wow" factor would be cool, but do you really want to destroy the a$$ end of a diesel truck with an experiment? Not trying to talk you out of it just trying to explain the logistics side of doing it. Diesel fuel is still flammable too don't forget.

Besides, if you plan on owning a diesel truck 2 or 3 years down the line, why don't you consider building (especially since you are in tech high school for machining) a large custom trailer pit from the ground up. Buying one can cost you a couple thousand while building one yourself will only cost you a couple hundred and your in-class shop time. Best thing to do would be to talk to your shop teacher about it and try to get him on board to do it as a class project. That will reduce cost too as most high school shops get materials at manufacturer cost instead of the going consumer market rate.

Just some thoughts.