Lake Placid, NY 2009

Cue's Your Daddy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Just wondering about this contest. I know its early but want to start planning. Thinking of making the trip and was wondering how family friendly it is. I know alot of people rave about it. Sounds like it can be a nice little vacation with a stop at lake george on way home.

I went out to LP the last 2 summers as my family vacations. It's a very very kid friendly event!!! Dmitry and crew do an awesome job to take care of the little one's!!!

It fills up fast, so if you are going, get your application in early...

I know I will miss this contest this year...

Well worth it, lots of fun. Great Organizer! It is a long way from LI but if you are going to VK in Lake George it sounds like you have an excellent time planned out.

HoDeDo and I (and the girls) are planning on making it to LP this year. Just as long as there are no layoffs on the job front.....Smoke On Wheels will be there!!!

It is a long way from LI ...

That's relative. :wink: Fortunately I have way more then I could ever do within 50 or so miles of me - unfortuntely, my brother (teammate lives 220 miles away from me, and we do 50% of our comps near his home - generally over 50 miles away)

But, other parts of the country would love to have a few comps that close.

It's a great event I probably will be donating another BWS to them to be rafffled off or I may give it to the winner of the new junior class they are having this year.

Very family friendly. We are 2 families that compete with 3 kids. 9-13 last year. No problems; kids who are part of a BBQ family can entertain themselves during crunch time and when it's down time our lovely wives took them to the beach. We all wandered town one afternoon (we didn't want to do the people's choice because we do not vend, ever) and the Olympic sites are cool, literally. It's contained well, and there is history to impart to young people if so inclined. Use of showers and Dmitri the organizer make it easy like Sunday Morning.

Think of it as LG with cooking.

Paul you will love it, great town great time. I am gonna send my check in this week

Andy, when are you thinking about getting there? I am thinking about a fishing trip centered around the comp........

Paul you will love it, great town great time. I am gonna send my check in this week

Andy, when are you thinking about getting there? I am thinking about a fishing trip centered around the comp........

I am planning on cooking Boston, NY the prior weekend, then heading up your way. there is an outside chance ( If I were to win the entry at the banquet) that I would cook wildwood the following weekend, instead of Boston.

Either way, I was going to call you and try and get something planned. :p

Expect a PM soon on logistics.

Opps!! Damn cookies! Cross dressing poster here.... again.
Andy

Last edited:
hmmm, as compared to?....laughing....was looking forward to getting a chance to meet you in Boston....thought that it was great when I heard you guys were thinking about the Boston one.....

Just wondering about this contest. I know its early but want to start planning. Thinking of making the trip and was wondering how family friendly it is. I know alot of people rave about it. Sounds like it can be a nice little vacation with a stop at lake george on way home.

The wife let me pick this as our vacation in 06. Lake Placid is FIRST CLASS. That was the first year of this event , and most of the time this can be a train wreck, not at LP . Some of the best people I have seen in one place. Dont miss the fire works , man that was an awesome show!

Rick

That's relative. :wink: Fortunately I have way more then I could ever do within 50 or so miles of me - unfortuntely, my brother (teammate lives 220 miles away from me, and we do 50% of our comps near his home - generally over 50 miles away)

But, other parts of the country would love to have a few comps that close.

It takes me 6 1/2 hours to get to Lake Placid from my house, I do know how long it takes to get there.

I am planning on cooking Boston, NY the prior weekend, then heading up your way.
Andy

I got to hang with Mike (the Giggler) when I was in Boston, he's a good dude. He is also a fellow NY Licensed Guide and part of my evil plot to hatch a fishing trip near Placid...... he is a trout guy, you mind fly fishing?

Being that it is a 3 day event do you have to load n the first day or can you come in the second?

Sled,

You can come in before and after the public with ease....

It's a great venue...

I hope to do it again this year...

Something special about the Olympic Speed Skating Oval and Skating Arena...

The fireworks are superb...

The accomodations are first class and they treat you just right...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

hmmm, as compared to?....laughing....was looking forward to getting a chance to meet you in Boston....thought that it was great when I heard you guys were thinking about the Boston one.....

Just refering to the chance I might win a free entry at the KCBS Banquet entry raffle. I know Wildwood gives a free entry there. If I won a free entry, I would end up going with it... At this point however, I am assuming I will be going to Boston's event. (As the chances of wining an entry there are slim.)
Is Boston giving a free entry to the KCBS banquet as well? That would give me yet another one to shoot for :twisted:

It takes me 6 1/2 hours to get to Lake Placid from my house, I do know how long it takes to get there.

Bobby is down by me... 23 hrs roughly -- 1350 miles.

I'm just saying a long drive is relative to all of us. Six and a half hours sounds like it could be along the norms for the Southwest and California and some other parts. It takes me well over 7 hours (400 miles) with the trailer to get to the Lynch Livestock Stampede (nearly all Interstate) - that's my farthest comp. I agree that long of a drive is a hike and I probably wouldn't consider it if my grandma didn't live there. Last year my avg comp drive time was about 3.5 hours each way.

I got to hang with Mike (the Giggler) when I was in Boston, he's a good dude. He is also a fellow NY Licensed Guide and part of my evil plot to hatch a fishing trip near Placid...... he is a trout guy, you mind fly fishing?

Did you say fly fishing?:mrgreen:

i am thinking with 3 kids aged 8months,3 and 5 it should take me 8 hours with all the bathroom stops and stuff. We leave really early in morning around 3am to beat traffic off LI. Wife likes the idea because we go to Lake George every year so she thinks it would be cool. And i have been laying the groundwork since last november. Sled, are u thinking of going?

Back