MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #91
jcm2m9
Knows what a fatty is.

Any more updates? I am going to start purchasing parts this week
jcm2m9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #92
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

OMG, I built a PID controller and felt like a genius (ok ok so it's not that hard) but you guys are nuts!!

Show of hands, how many of you work at NASA or graduated from MIT?

Just kidding (I'm afraid to know the answer actually) best of luck, when you're done I hope to see schematics and instructions...I have an old android
TroyA65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #93
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

I ran a test last weekend with real food. The controller performed well enough--the only problem was that it lost the connection with the Android twice during a ten-hour cook. I'll have to put in keep-alive logic at some point.

I'm in the process of writing up a schematic. This will take a little time because I have to learn KiCad on the fly. I also need to figure out the best way for you to install the app on your phones. I don't know what the process is for getting an app added to the Google store or if there's another way.

I'm on vacation for the next two weeks so there won't be much until after then.
Deeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #94
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

I updated the instructions with a minimal how-to for installing the app. Somebody give it a try and let me know if it works.

http://www.instructables.com/id/E5X9...7LEK/?ALLSTEPS

Old 05-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #95
jcm2m9
Knows what a fatty is.

I am going to start ordering parts today. When do you think you will have a schematic available? Any different purchases you would have made?
jcm2m9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #96
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

I'll try to have the schematic done in a week or two but no promises. :) What I'll probably end up doing is adding a draft schematic and having people take a look to see if they notice any errors.

The parts listed on the Instructables page is pretty much the ones I would (and did) use. The only differences are listed on the page:
1) I'd use different mono jacks, only because they'd be easier to solder.
2) I'm still looking for a satisfactory Bluetooth dongle. The ones I've been using have a short range(20-30 ft). Until this gets ironed out you may have to buy more than one. Most of them have been cheap (< $10), which may be why I'm having problems. ;)

Old 05-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #97
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

I've updated the instructions with a draft schematic. I'm still learning Kicad and haven't figured out how to export the schematic as an image so it's just a screenshot for now. Depending on where you bought the audio jacks the pin numbers for the jacks might not match the pins on the schematic so keep an eye out for that.

I'm back from vacation and I'll start updating the page with step-by-step instructions. If there's anything I can add that would make it easier to understand let me know.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #98
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

I've updated the instructions with a better schematic (I switched to using Fritzing). I've also started filling in the steps with verbiage.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #99
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

Ran another test today--I smoked 4 racks of ribs on my UDS with the controller. (Which I'm calling the UDS Digital Supervisor, or UDS. Yeah, bad joke.) The supervisor worked very well; here's the chart:

What you might notice is that ~40 minutes into the cook the pit temperature (red line) plummeted 50 degrees. I freaked out at the time but I think what happened was that the wind changed and was blowing away the heat on the top rack (which is near the seal between the top of the drum and the lid). The thermometer on the bottom rack (light-blue line) didn't drop and then went up as the fan kicked in. It wasn't until 12:00 that I figured this out and put up a wind screen next to the smoker--you can see the two thermometers begin to converge after that.

The supervisor kept the pit temp very near the target temp for over 6 hours. The craziness at the end is when I opened the smoker to pull out the ribs but forgot to turn off the supervisor.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #100
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

Update: This is largely about the software. I've added the functionality to set off an alarm if a thermometer registers a temperature outside a range. I probably went a bit overboard but the app can now tweet its status on Twitter. This allows you to follow the status from anywhere and it is easier than setting up a web server. You can follow my smoker at https://twitter.com/deegsmoker :D

Made some updates to the monitor screen. Everything is documented on the Instructables page: http://www.instructables.com/id/E5X9...7LEK/?ALLSTEPS

The instructables page is pretty much done and I expect all changes/updates to be in just the app. I've used the Supervisor multiple times in the last month and the only major problem I'm having is that the Bluetooth connection goes down at times. The creator of the IOIO says it's because my Bluetooth dongle isn't entire compatible with my phone so I'm experimenting with more dongles.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #101
David_S
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Thumbs up Thanks for all the hard work on this.

I was clicking on all the links for the different items that have to be purchased and the fan has a 3 month wait on it. Anyone got a link to a different fan.
David_S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #102
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

David, any 50mm x 50mm 12v squirrel-cage blower should do. Here's one from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Brushless-Blow...12v+blower+fan
Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Brushl...-/281220372998

A bigger blower will also work but you'll need to use a larger box.