Mike's UDS Turkey Tutorial with pron !

R

Rover >~<>

Hello all, Here is my tutorial for smoking a whole turkey on a UDS. Im sure that it's not perfect so feel free to alter it as you like. I hope this helps a lot of people here on the forum. It turned out delicious and moist with a great smokey flavor :thumb: I look forward to eating turkey and swiss sandwiches all week. Enjoy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BRINE:

2 gallons of water
1 & 1/4 cup salt
1 & 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 orange cut into wedges and make a slit across the sides
add garlic and bay leaves to desired amount

Put in a food grade container
(look underneath container to see the number associated with the plastic used and look online to see if it is safe)
disolve in warm water, let cool in fridge, add 2 trays of ice to get to safe temperature

578263967_2053991869_0.jpg 578265039_2053996123_0.jpg 578266699_2054002788_0.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------

TURKEY: (12-14 lb. natural bird -meaning no solution injections)

Thaw as appropriate or use fresh turkey.
Take out of package, remove fat or excess skin around cavities, remove leg restraint and take out giblets. (save scraps and giblets)
Rinse thoroughly in and out and pat dry, place in brine for 24 hours adding ice every once in a while to keep temp below 40 degrees.
Now you can use giblets to make stock..<see stock paragraph below>
Remove from brine and rinse and pat dry again. Place on baking sheet and set in fridge to dry for 12 hours.
Coat turkey with olive oil, sprinkle lightly with pepper salt rosemary and garlic. Seperate skin gently from above breast and season also.
Stuff cavity with quartered onion, wedges of apple, orange, lemon, make slits in the wedges and put some fresh sage and thyme on top. (hit the sage and thyme with the back of your knife to break open and release aromas).
Tie legs together.
Smoke at 325 degrees over charcoal basket half full of layers of charcoal and apple wood untill breast is 165 degrees. Make sure you have a drip pan of some sort to catch drippings used for gravy. Cover turkey with foil when it gets dark.
Remove and dump juices from cavity into drip pan, rest covered in foil for thirty minutes.
Slice parallel to the neck bone and use knife to seperate legs/wings at joints.

578269528_2054014098_0.jpg 578267858_2054007432_0.jpg 578272695_2054026758_0.jpg 578281576_2054062157_0.jpg 578275880_2054039379_0.jpg 578276878_2054043293_0.jpg578275551_2054038050_0.jpg 578276045_2054040038_0.jpg 578277100_2054044170_0.jpg 578278157_2054048356_0.jpg 578278276_2054048810_0.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stock & Gravy:

Place giblets and excess scraps except for liver in pot with 6 cups water, sage, thyme, rosemary, quartered onion, sliced carrot.
Bring to boil, then simmer 2 hours covered, drain liquid and store in fridge.

For the gravy add 4 tbs of skimmed fat from top of drip pan and a stick of butter to big pan over med-high heat, whisk continuously, once melted and darkened add 1/2 cup flour and keep whisking, add 4 cups of your stock and add drippings (skim off fat and discard first).
Salt and pepper and add 1 Tbs of worcestershire. whisk for 5 min. Store in fridge. Add stock to thin.

578283983_2054071734_0.jpg 578265499_2053997950_0.jpg 578277429_2054045469_0.jpg 578277957_2054047570_0.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I appreciate any comments and once again hope some people get a lot of help from this.

Nice looking bird and great tutorial. I do mine very similar. Simple brine, straightforward seasoning and fresh ingredients. Hard to beat.
Foil those wingtips for presentation:wink:

Paul

Nice!!! I'd hit that. Never tried a brine. Thinking I just might for T-day this year.

Bob

Nice!!! I'd hit that. Never tried a brine. Thinking I just might for T-day this year.

Bob

im sold on brining now. the meat comes out so very tender and you can infuse different flavors unlike the solution injected turkeys where they are just salt water...

BY THE WAY>>> DONT BRINE A TURKEY THAT COMES INJECTED WITH A SALT SOLUTION...will be way too salty

Thought i would post the grades of plastic for you guys since i talked about using food grade containers

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Types Of Plastic[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]In the United States, the following codes represent the seven categories of plastic used in nearly all plastic containers and product packaging:[/FONT]
code1.gif
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]PET or PETE (polyethylene terephthalate) is a clear, tough polymer with exceptional gas and moisture barrier properties. PET's ability to contain carbon dioxide (carbonation) makes it ideal for use in soft drink bottles.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Examples: Soft drink bottles, detergent bottles[/FONT]

code2.gif
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]HDPE (high density polyethylene) is used in milk, juice and water containers in order to take advantage of its excellent protective barrier properties. Its chemical resistance properties also make it well suited for items such as containers for household chemicals and detergents. Most five gallon food buckets are made from HDPE.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Examples: Milk bottles, shopping bags[/FONT]

code3.gif
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Vinyl (polyvinyl chloride, or PVC) provides excellent clarity, puncture resistance and cling. As a film, vinyl can breathe just the right amount, making it ideal for packaging fresh meats that require oxygen to ensure a bright red surface while maintaining an acceptable shelf life.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Examples: Plastic food wrap, shrink wrap, garden hoses, shoe soles[/FONT]

code4.gif
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]LDPE (low density polyethylene) offers clarity and flexibility. It is used to make bottles that require flexibility. To take advantage of its strength and toughness in film form, it is used to produce grocery bags and garbage bags, shrink and stretch film, and coating for milk cartons.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Examples: Squeeze bottles, dry cleaning bags[/FONT]

code5.gif
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]PP (polypropylene) has high tensile strength, making it ideal for use in caps and lids that have to hold tightly on to threaded openings. Because of its high melting point, polypropylene can be hot-filled with products designed to cool in bottles, including ketchup and syrup. It is also used for products that need to be incubated, such as yogurt. Many Cambo, Tupperware and Rubbermaid food storage containers are made from PP.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]E[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]xamples: Bottle caps, take-out food containers, drinking straws[/FONT]

code6.gif
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]PS (polystyrene), in its crystalline form, is a colorless plastic that can be clear and hard. It can also be foamed to provide exceptional insulation properties. Foamed or expanded polystyrene (EPS) is used for products such as meat trays, egg cartons and coffee cups. It is also used for packaging and protecting appliances, electronics and other sensitive products.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Examples: Plastic foam, packing peanuts, coat hangers[/FONT]

code7.gif
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Other[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] denotes plastics made from other types of resin or from several resins mixed together. These usually cannot be recycled[/FONT]

sorry the numbers aren't showing but the list goes from 1 at the top to grade 7 at the bottom

Good instructions did pick up a pointer or 2 I may have to do a turkey on the smoker this year since my company just sent out the manditory managers schedule for the holidays and I am REQUIRED to take Thanksgiving off first time in my working life.

Thanks for the excellent tutorial. Now to somehow find room in the fridge for a big orange bucket.

i can't remember the exact time since i just went by internal temp, but i want to say somewhere around 4 hours

Nice bird. I had smoked turkeys without brining for years and then I started to brine and its without a doubt the only way to go.

Nice looking bird, Mike!

Did you manufacture some kind of foil bowl to put the turkey in while it was on the UDS? I was thinking about using a roasting rack or a vertical holder (think Beer Can Chicken) when I did mine.

Last year I did a turkey in the BGE for my Jaycees Turkey Dinner, and this year I was *assigned* turkey (instead of getting to bring whatever I want like everybody else), so I hope to do a bigger bird this year and the UDS would be great for that.

For those who are going to try brining for the first time, it's expected that your brine be so sweet/salty that if you try it you'll want to gag. That's how osmosis works so don't think you did something wrong!

i origionally had my drip pan mounted between a smaller grate and my top grate, but i had some fitting problems at the last second so just wrapped my drip pan in foil and set the bird in that. It worked rather well. Next time ill secure my drip pan under the top grate using a a coat hanger rig that i made.

Back