30 Gal UDS

davet54

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looking to add to my small arsenal. Would like to build a 30 gal UDS but not sure how to do it. Have read several places on google but they all talk about 55 gl drums. I realize just scale it down but wondering if anyone has plans for a 30 gl drum. One thing would like to know, would it be better to cut a door in it or what would be the best way to remove the ash. If you have to add more coal without a door, your would have to pull everything out to add then put everything back? Need some help on this build.

uds's of any size rock. just do it...

biggest problem would probably be distance from grate to fire ring may be getting tight if you don't have a domed lid or put a diffuser/water bowl in which gets away from the basic concept imo.

getting past all that, i use a ring made from a 16 gallon in my 55's and can easily do 15 hour burns. the 14" ring would fit nicely in the 30g. you don't need a door unless you're really into that.

34811_1784060766898_1400856699_31925832_2794175_n.jpg

i don't have the measurements handy but a 16 and a 30 are roughly same height so you can see what going on with the little one below. the fire ring tops out about where the lower eye bolts are, and the grate is at the upper eye bolts so it looks like about 20-22".

i can't tell you exactly what i get for burn time in this one since i usually just do brats and what not, but it did do tips and pieces over the 6 hours the ribs where on the 55's. i had to give it 1/2 small chimney at some point because we loaded it 6 or 8 times to give out samples (cover was off ALOT). it prolly holds a chimneys worth of briquettes.

40637_1561166674685_1400856699_31452118_4287239_n.jpg

so yeah, use the K.I.S.S. method and just scale it down. don't re-invent the wheel... unless that's your thing.

if anyone wants more info or pics on the mini give a shout.

have fun

Thanks for the info on the 30 gal UDS. If you have more pictures that would be great. Looks like you have a small grill below it? that might be a great idea, has vent on bottom, collects ash and looks like the lid will fit on top. Is the bottom pinned or bolted to the small grill? Send me a PM or post more pics if you could. Like that idea, also is the bottom cut out of the 30 gal so it fits on the grill?

Thanks for the info on the 30 gal UDS. If you have more pictures that would be great. Looks like you have a small grill below it? that might be a great idea, has vent on bottom, collects ash and looks like the lid will fit on top. Is the bottom pinned or bolted to the small grill? Send me a PM or post more pics if you could. Like that idea, also is the bottom cut out of the 30 gal so it fits on the grill?

the small smoker was just for concept. it's a 16 gallon drum (your standard grease in a barrel found at auto shops) with the bottom cut out on a smokey joe. the middle lifts out so you can still use it as just the kettle.

if you have a 30 gallon drum standard is like 18.25 x 27.5 so maybe a weber 18.5 kettle (or who know what off-brand) might work but depends on your actual drum -then you need to battle leg mods.

i was just trying to field some basic questions. if you want more pics or info i can do that, but i think you're after a 30 gal build plan, which i'm sure you will find here somewhere - or someone with "exact" info 'cause i don't have a 30.

Looking to add to my small arsenal. Would like to build a 30 gal UDS but not sure how to do it. Have read several places on google but they all talk about 55 gl drums. I realize just scale it down but wondering if anyone has plans for a 30 gl drum. One thing would like to know, would it be better to cut a door in it or what would be the best way to remove the ash. If you have to add more coal without a door, your would have to pull everything out to add then put everything back? Need some help on this build.

NO DOOR!!.... door = airleak.

P.M. Me, I'll give you the run down.

Attachments

• UDS30 DG FRNT.jpg
    UDS30 DG FRNT.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 248
NO DOOR!!.... door = airleak.

P.M. Me, I'll give you the run down.

Agree! a door is just over-complicating a very simple process. I've burned a full basket of coal at different temps and it lasted 24 hours+ a door is not needed. After ever ask, I pull the pins on my lid, pick it up, and dump the remains out. Easiest process EVER

Back