MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Giggler View Post
Nice. That really doesn't seem outrageous. Do you know what brand of trailer the use for the base? And is there a website available?

We're working with Klose Pits for a couple smaller units to load/unload via an electric winch. The pit we have is big. Too big for experimental cooks. Besides, with a little one on the way - I doubt highly that weekends will be dedicated to catering and vending. Competition is a family event already. Looking to do more of it in the future. (Can't wait for the first picture with bbq sauce all over his/her face:) And a cargo trailer will have plenty of room for the pack n' play....

Thanks.
I know you have a relationship with Dave Klose so I won't try to sway you to another manufacturer. If Dave Klose is going to manufacture the pit may I suggest he make some sort of airtight insulated vertical that a BBQ Guru or Stoker can control so you can sleep at night. As an example, we can run our Spicewine on 2 1/2 bags of charcoal for well over 24 hours at 225*. You can set any temperature you want and the cooker will lock at that temperature. We had a Lang 84D and got tired of the stick burner real fast. Sleep is a good thing at a contest.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
we'll smoke u
is Blowin Smoke!

I agree with Sawdustguy a insulated virtical is the way to go. acouple of hour of sleep during comp is very nice.

KCBS MEMBER #24303
COUNTRY SMOKER 570 PELLET FEEDER
ONE SMALL HOME MADE VERTICAL
WEBER KETTLE GOLD 221/2
WEBER BABYQ
we'll smoke u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by we'll smoke u View Post
I agree with Sawdustguy a insulated virtical is the way to go. acouple of hour of sleep during comp is very nice.
I get over five hours sleep at every comp using my Klose charcoal basket...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
we'll smoke u
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes View Post
I get over five hours sleep at every comp using my Klose charcoal basket...

How much sleep are you getting with out your charcoal basket.

I was not saying horizontals are not good I just find that the verticals work better for me. I get a 15 to 20 hour burn on my small vertical and 20 to 24 hour burn with my big smoker.

KCBS MEMBER #24303
WEBER KETTLE GOLD 221/2
WEBER BABYQ

Old 09-13-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
How much sleep are you getting with out your charcoal basket.

I was not saying horizontals are not good I just find that the verticals work better for me. I get a 15 to 20 hour burn on my small vertical and 20 to 24 hour burn with my big smoker.
We have been getting 1.5-2 hours of sleep after stoking. No doubt, the insulated verticals are efficient. My WSM pratically runs itself, and I often cook shoulder for catering overnight without giving it a second thought.

It is fun cooking with quartered logs though, even with the extra maintenance. Besides, you get excercise from splitting, stacking, and loading. And that cancels out all those extra calories from eating Q!

Competitive Cook-Contest Organizer-Promoter of Smoke and Fire

Boston Hills BBQ Fest
www.bostonhillsbbqfest.com

PROUD to support Great Lakes BBQ Supply - www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com
The Giggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
How much sleep are you getting with out your charcoal basket?
I'm not trying to sleep when I'm playing with fire and drinking and hanging out with my buddies.

When it's time for sleep, I break out the basket. In a comp you better be checking your pit every five hours or so no matter your cooker.

Quote:
I cook on an Egg at home all the time. 12 hour burns are the norm. That kind of sleep is great, but not matter at a contest.

Your comment was about comp cooking, not the need for a 20 hour burn.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #7
Sawdustguy

Quote:
I'm not trying to sleep when I'm playing with fire and drinking and hanging out with my buddies.

When it's time for sleep, I break out the basket. In a comp you better be checking your pit every five hours or so no matter your cooker.

I cook on an Egg at home all the time. 12 hour burns are the norm. That kind of sleep is great, but not matter at a contest.

I couldn't disagree with you more. With todays highly insulated pits and electronic controls there is no reason to stay up and keep watch on your pit at all. The electronics has alarms for pit high temp, low temp etc. Do you think Pellet Envy stays up all night to keep watch on his FEC100's?

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 09-14-2007, 08:05 AM   #8
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
I think some do, some don't. At a comp I like to check in on things every four hours even though my Backwoods/Gurus run unattended for an easy 12hrs.

If I had a nice off-set like a Klose, Horizon or Meadow Creek I'd be looking at the power cooking method, putting the big meats on at 4am.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more. With todays highly insulated pits and electronic controls there is no reason to stay up and keep watch on your pit at all. The electronics has alarms for pit high temp, low temp etc. Do you think Pellet Envy stays up all night to keep watch on his FEC100's?
I bet he gets up every few hour and checks his pit. It is not unheard of to blow a fuse or a breaker, or for a control panel to go out. I have a lot of friends that cook on FECs, they all check their cookers more than every eight hours.

I never said I stay up all night checking my pit, if you read my post you would see that my point was that I don't have to.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:33 AM   #10
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
I think some do, some don't. At a comp I like to check in on things every four hours even though my Backwoods/Gurus run unattended for an easy 12hrs.

If I had a nice off-set like a Klose, Horizon or Meadow Creek I'd be looking at the power cooking method, putting the big meats on at 4am.
I'm working on power cooking. I cook around Buffalo, Head Country II, and Twin Oaks all the time. Those guys all power cook. They also win a lot.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:54 AM   #11
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I'm working on power cooking. I cook around Buffalo, Head Country II, and Twin Oaks all the time. Those guys all power cook. They also win a lot.
What's power cooking? High temps, shorter times? I am unfamiliar with the nomenclature, help a Brethren out.

Competitive Cook-Contest Organizer-Promoter of Smoke and Fire

Boston Hills BBQ Fest
www.bostonhillsbbqfest.com

PROUD to support Great Lakes BBQ Supply - www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com
The Giggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 09:11 AM   #12
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Giggler View Post
What's power cooking? High temps, shorter times? I am unfamiliar with the nomenclature, help a Brethren out.
Yes cooking at ~350*. Usually just a couple of hours in the smoke and then foil with a total cook time on butts/briskets of about 5 hrs. If you want to take a class on this check out Myron Mixon's classes.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 06:16 PM   #13
we'll smoke u
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:

My comment was not about cooking it was about getting some shut eye.I have a couple of buddies that cook on a klose and they are stoking it every 1.5 to 2 hours. They turn out some good grub but are dragging a$$ in the morning.To each his own I like verticals and you like klose.

KCBS MEMBER #24303
WEBER KETTLE GOLD 221/2
WEBER BABYQ

Old 09-14-2007, 06:26 PM   #14
Sawdustguy

Quote:
I bet he gets up every few hour and checks his pit. It is not unheard of to blow a fuse or a breaker, or for a control panel to go out. I have a lot of friends that cook on FECs, they all check their cookers more than every eight hours.

I never said I stay up all night checking my pit, if you read my post you would see that my point was that I don't have to.
I don't check mine either Jeff.

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 09-14-2007, 06:38 PM   #15
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
My comment was not about cooking it was about getting some shut eye.I have a couple of buddies that cook on a klose and they are stoking it every 1.5 to 2 hours. They turn out some good grub but are dragging a$$ in the morning.To each his own I like verticals and you like klose.
My only point is that stick burners do not have to stay up all night either.

If your buddies bought a charcoal basket, they could get some sleep like you guys with other pit designs.