MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #16
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Nice bro, I do a combo of woods whist cooking. Makes my nose happy to get the different smells. I start with one wood, use another and so on.
Great new website, Steph!
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #17
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogus Chezz Hawg View Post
Visit Costco as a non-member. Tell them you want to look around before joining and they will let you in. I've read here that Costco only sells flats (except in Texas). If that's true in your area you can then visit Sam's Club. They have USDA Choice Angus packers for $1.78 per lb in my area.

Good luck with your 1st briskey!
Good Suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Nice bro, I do a combo of woods whist cooking. Makes my nose happy to get the different smells. I start with one wood, use another and so on.
You ARE talking about cooking here, right Steph?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #18
Smokin'Ron
Full Fledged Farker

Nice Brisket. That's about the size I normally work with and do about 3 at a time on my offset.

I always fire up with charcoal to about 275, switch to hickory and run about an hour just to get the meat to temp. I drop temps to about 200-225 for the remaining cook switching to a mix of Hickory/Apple and finish up with Hickory for about the last couple of hours since it holds the heat better. For three of these with this method, it can take anywhere from 14 - 18 hours depending on weather.

Just FYI, I tried mixing Alder in once and haven't used it since. I thought it overtook the flavors of the meat too much for my taste. I did like my Oak experience, but I just can't get my hands on it economically.

Just my thoughts and experience. Good luck, can't wait to see the final results.

1- Cheap Charcoal grill (gone to the graveyard)
Smokin'Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #19
smalls65
Full Fledged Farker

Good luck on da briskie!!!! I'm doin one sat too!!!!!

Old 02-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #20
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin'Ron View Post

Just FYI, I tried mixing Alder in once and haven't used it since. I thought it overtook the flavors of the meat too much for my taste. I did like my Oak experience, but I just can't get my hands on it economically.

Just my thoughts and experience. Good luck, can't wait to see the final results.
Thanks for that advice on the alder. I'm going to remember it.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Old 02-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #21
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalls65 View Post
Good luck on da briskie!!!! I'm doin one sat too!!!!!
Good luck to you too Bro! I'm just hoping I don't turn 30 dollars worth of beef into catfood!

Old 02-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #22
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Good Suggestion!

You ARE talking about cooking here, right Steph?
Dirty old Basitige!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #23
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Thanks! Yep, there's two or three but I'm not a member. Can't decide between them or Costco.
Visit Sam's first because the one by me only sells flats for about $3 lb and the local mom and pop is $1.78 lb for packers.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #24
Phubar

Make me proud son!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #25
Steve_M9
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Visit Sam's first because the one by me only sells flats for about $3 lb and the local mom and pop is $1.78 lb for packers.

Good advice here. It is obviously regional as to availability, but I thought here in Texas I would be able to get choice packers at either Sam's or Costco. Sam's only has choice flats while Costco has choice Packes and Flats. I put my stock in Costco, but things could be different elsewhere.

Why buy the cow if you can get a "look see" for free? Check them out. Most times they don't even really look for the card when you enter. It is when you purchase they need it. Go in, look around, and find out what you like.

Still hoping for a restaurant depot near here
Steve_M9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #26
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Remember that here in Tennessee, "BBQ" is synonomous with "hickory-smoked BBQ"!

Seriously, though...As much as folks rave about pecan, I once smoked a brisket with pecan instead of hickory and it just wasn't as good. I'd suggest trying a mix of hickory, oak, and apple/cherry, but that's me.

I noticed you're planning on cooking at 275 degrees. Are you gonna wrap in foil after the meat reaches 160?

Even though I rarely wrap pork butts until I pull them off the pit to rest, nowadays I either put briskets in a pan or wrap in foil after it reaches 160 in the thickest part of the flat. This is my "juicyness insurance", as ever so often I'll have one that's a little dry in the flat when I cook 'em the same way I cook buttes, which is with a target temp a little lower, around 235.

Good luck!
Dave
UDS, wsm, wots, char-griller
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #27
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Like BBS, I like to mix the woods too. A little Oak, hickory and apple would be my choice.

Good look with your brisket

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #28
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

I would do a check at Sam's first also. I have 2 in my area. One doesn't even have briskets and the other carries choice flats but select packers.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #29
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crüe-B-Cüe View Post
I would do a check at Sam's first also. I have 2 in my area. One doesn't even have briskets and the other carries choice flats but select packers.

That's the same as our's. Must be a gulf coast thing

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #30
JDV
Got Wood.

Best of luck on the brisket! Can't go wrong with Oak, but enjoy whatever you end up using.
JDV is offline   Reply With Quote